Spindle Lever Baclash
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    fausto Guest

I have a leedscrew reverse equiped lathe and in moving the lever up the spindle comes on but when moving the lever down, nothing until I rotate the shaft by hand the last litle bit, the lever on my right has too much slop and I would like to tighten that fit a bit, any one out there with an answer?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This handle controls a segment of a gear that engages another that's engaged to the slot on the leadscrew reverse shaft. The only way to fix this would be to remove the SHCS holding the lower box to the apron to lower the box, set the rod into the center position as well as the lever and reconnect things. That should reset things wto work properly.

If it doesn't I'd bet that the problem is where the leadscrew reverse rod connects to the cam switches at the tail of the lathe. Check to see if you have a lot of slop in the connection, if so you might have to ream up to the next taper pin size and refit that connection.

fausto Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I have allready tried to re-engage the "half gears" and the poor fit has not improved, I am positive the leadscrew reverse shaft fit is not it, what I would like to do is to reduce the clearence in the fit of the two half gears, any sugestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A similar problem occured on my machine awhile back. The cam switches at the tailstock end of the lathe can be adjusted. I can't quite remeber how the adjustment works, but if you take off the cover of the cam-switch casting I think it is pretty easy to figure out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The key that rides in the slot on shaft is shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go down to the topic "Apron disasembly/
    w leadscrew reverse on this board. I talk on how to make a key for that rod. Hope it helps.

fausto Guest

Thank you gents, I will look in to that and get back.