What's new
What's new

Spindle Taper

Marty Escarcega

Plastic
Ok, I know the spindle taper is a #12 Jarno, but, how far back is the taper supposed to go in the spindle? At first glance today, it seemed that it only went back about the depth of the camlock? Then it opened up.
This seemed odd to me. (again, I didn't spend alot of time with the machine.)

Marty

Hi Marty:
The taper is relieved in the middle third.
It contacts only at the big end and the small end.
I'm not sure it's Jarno either.
There seems to be some variation here.
I'm pretty sure mine's Morse taper.
Cheers

Marcus

Wow,we're on a roll tonite. From the front of the D1-3, the taper is in two parts separated by a gap. The taper total is about 3" deep.

Got it guys, I guess I just didn't run my finger deep enough. :)
Why is there a question about the taper?
Has anyone with a sound machine put Dial Test Indicator on the compound and run it in to see what the taper was? If I think about it, when I get my serial number, I will ask Monarch. BTW, is there anyone in particular I should ask for when I call Monarch in the next day or two?

Marty

On the tailstock end, the veeway closest to the operator, on top, between the veeway and the flat way should have the 5 digit
serial # stamped there, All of the components,headstock, gearbox, will be stamped with that number. Daryl

As for asking the Monarch folks about the spindle taper, I asked that question twice (by e-mail) for my 12CK. The 1st time, the answer was - it's D1-6...uh yeah that part's kinda obvious! Second time I asked, the reply was - it's 3 morse...uh yeah that would be in the spindle sleeve (which I don't have!
A post from the RCM site was pointed out to me, and from the measurements that were given there, I came to the conclusion that the CK has a 12 jarno taper.
Here's the link to the thread with the info http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&th=70fd620e3c1b2c45&rnum=8

Back