What's new
What's new

Square Dial Gearbox Feed and Leadscrew Shafts

rimcanyon

Diamond
I read in a thread by Dave E back in 2009 about the possibility of replacing the labyrinth seals for the output shafts on a square dial gearbox with an actual seal. I did not see any photos, or details, so if anyone has either, please reply. Perhaps it is unnecessary; both shafts are quite a bit higher than the oil level in the gearbox, and the bearings being sealed are lubed with grease.

I also am replacing the bearings for the output shafts. According to the parts diagram, the bearings are the same for both shafts. The bearings that were in the 67 were not the same and were not installed the same way, so I hope someone else can compare notes. The leadscrew bearings were ND 30204 (angular contact bearings), and they were installed with the thrust faces outward (and with spacers in between). The feed shaft bearings were MRC 7204, and they were installed with the thrust faces facing each other, face to face. I ordered four ND 30204's, which ran about $100 incl. shipping. Should they be installed with thrust faces facing each other on both shafts?

I have a question about the feed shaft. The 49 had a feed release assembly at the gearbox end of the feed shaft; the 67 gearbox did not. It has a stub shaft with a socket to take the feed shaft directly. So either I need to buy a new, longer feed shaf, or if I get lucky, a stub shaft from another gearbox that has the feed release. If anyone reading this has the extra part please contact me.

Here is a photo of the gearbox output parts. The mfg. lathe feed disconnect is on the left, followed by the feed and leadscrew stub shafts from the 67 gearbox. It looks like the feed shaft will need to be about 2" longer.

IMG_1278.jpg

I am no help, except I remember the seals were off the shelf items. I will go and look thru my paperwork and see if anything comes up. I had found coolant had made its way into the gearbox in its prior life and made a massive mess. Although I will never use coolant on my EE, putting some real seals there seemed like the way to go.

I have not had a chance to find the part# but I did see my post in DaveE907 gearbox thread, and I stated the single lipped seals (CR brand) fit the shafts and housings without modification.

Back