Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    The MATERIALs for the "original" multilayer wipers is still made ... as sheet-goods. As-are newer-chemistry equivalents. Frisket knives still exist. And not-only. Another member had several sets of Cazenuve's ones CNC'ed.

A person could duplicate the "composite" wiper function. Or improve upon it. Some have done, 10EE and not-only. See Doc's rebuilds for recent examples.

Solid felt is only an "improvement" in that the lessened cost - or relative ease of working forgiving, flexible, materials encourages the righteous to REPLACE it more often!

BEFORE it fossilizes with enough embedded trash ...to pretend to be a whetstone... attacking the very ways it was MEANT to protect.

"PM thing". As-in "Preventive Maintenance"

"hint, hint, hint..."

I was curious if they changed. material
    You can cut new wipers but not knowing how much is worn off is guessing. I'll order monarch's. Making patterns from their new wipers for next time.
    There are partial kits on ezmay. Adding up all the partial kit prices the $125.00 for Monarch's full set doesn't look bad..
    Preventive maintenance is always worth spending the penny's to save the dollars.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    You can cut new wipers but not knowing how much is worn off is guessing. I'll order monarch's. Making patterns from their new wipers for next time.
    There are partial kits on ezmay. Adding up all the partial kit prices the $125.00 for Monarch's full set doesn't look bad..
    Preventive maintenance is always worth spending the penny's to save the dollars.
    There are LOTS of things Monarch sells at perfectly ordinary present-day prices, or even a bit LESS than comparable goods.

Folks who bill-out their own shop rate at HIGHER prices than Sidney don't seem to think Monarch has left the cost structure of the year their lathe was made!

If... I priced my time at "shop rates"? I doubt I could hand-cut wiper felts as cheaply as Monarch sells them. For starters, I would have to eat the cost of minimum material purchase, all waste, & any errors.

I just bought mine. Glad I still COULD.

3. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt I could hand-cut wiper felts as cheaply as Monarch sells them. For starters, I would have to eat the cost of minimum material purchase, all waste, & any errors.

I just bought mine. Glad I still COULD.
    I did as well. And if I remember correctly, since I've only done the tailstock at this point and haven't done the carriage yet, they are 100% felt from Monarch.

5. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the ones I got this summer are all white felt. The original ones in the machine were the composite material.

7. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I pulled the AC motor to address the bearings, commutator, brushes, etc. I was surprised to see the motor plate says it is 50 Hz. I removed a grease fitting and hit it with the grease gun to push out whatever was in there. Sure enough, it was quite dry and solid.mg1.jpggrease1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    The felts Monarch sells don't all fit and some need to be trimmed...

It bears repeating, however, that when the felts are installed, they should be tight, it should put a noticeable drag on the carriage motion. They will compress to a perfect fit.

If you saturate the felts with way oil before installing you will also get a better fit.

If you loosen the bed guide bearings first it is a lot easier to get the way wipe covers installed.

10. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The MATERIALs for the "original" multilayer wipers is still made ... as sheet-goods. As-are newer-chemistry equivalents.
    Maybe a group purchase?

I know that Thomas Register still lists some manufacturers of the laminated felt/rubber sheet, but I don't know for a fact that they still make the material.