Are Step Chucks Serialized For 10EE Lathes?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Are Step Chucks Serialized For 10EE Lathes?

I had a 10EE quite a few years ago that I sold off. It needed work and I just don't have the space to spread things out to work on it. I kept all the tooling for it in the hope at some point in the future I might move into a much bigger shop space. Which I expect will happen in the next few years. And then might take on that sort of project. Anyway, I know a little bit about 10EE's.

I bought a "box lot" of step chucks for what I thought were all South Bend Step chucks, for my Heavy-10 South Bend lathe. In going through them, I found this one step chuck slightly different than the SB step chucks.

Is it serialized to a 10EE? S/N seems to need one more numerical digit to be for a 10EE. Step chuck is 6.5 inch on max OD.

...ee_step_chuck_1.jpgee_step_chuck_4.jpgee_step_chuck_3.jpgee_step_chuck_2.jpg

10EE's didn't go into production until late 1930's, so 4 digit 2061 S/N doesn't seem to fit EE. needs an addtl digit.

Serials from S/N Reference book....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that is just an EE part number- Monarch's p/n for the step chuck.

I have a couple of Monarch step chuck closers. One or more of them seem to be off size as compared to what Hardinge sells for step chucks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark, I know "nuthin'" about step chucks for 10EE, was on my RTWL to adapt some.

I have several used ones from around 2" to just over 5". Hardinge goods, all, and from catalogs, they were even made clear up to 7".

My ones are the basic 5C central actuator for the shallow ones, with two other types of outer-edge taper closers, deep and deeper.

Those operate off a spanner actuated collar that runs up a Hardinge threaded nose "duplicate" that mounts to a plate. Could be some earlier Pilgrim's adaptation if not OEM?

I could gather up the lot of them - all odds and sods acquired one at a time off eBay, nuthin' special - meet yah in the carpark, and at least "lend" you the whole bunch - that odd closer especially - if it helps sort out a mystery.

Odds of my ever actually using them were never high, are diminishing with age...

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just wondered if it was serialized. It's practically the same as the similar SB ones I have. So just going to keep it w/ my SB stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My step chuck body has no markings but my drive plate carries the serial EE 2597

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by morsetaper2 View Post
    I just wondered if it was serialized. It's practically the same as the similar SB ones I have. So just going to keep it w/ my SB stuff.
    IF ... as .. when... mine will probably be adapted to the Cazeneuve as well as the 10EE's.

The "actuator" part isn't hard. Hardinge "false nose", 5C drawtube, but it can be plate or slug mounted, gripped in a 4-J instead of on a D1 mount, seldom as I ever use it.

You could do much the same and migrate the goods between and among any of many lathes, present or future, SB and beyond.

I treat the used collets as if they were "emergency collets" in that all I need to do is get one re-cut out of them and they've paid for themselves. Some have already BEEN so utilized but still have two more goes or better left in them.

They aren't just for working with disks, of course.

One of the deepest-bodied ones I grabbed for the good deal of "meat" left in it was previously EDM'ed right close to center to grip a really odd shaped part.

No idea what it was, but if you picture gripping a plumbing goods gate valve casting so as to bore the actuator shaft hole or generate the thread for the gland nut, it would have been a conceptually similar use.