What's new
What's new

Strange Item on my new to me Monarch lathe

kumaichi

Aluminum
Hi All,

Recently purchased a 16CY from a government auction, I get to pick it up in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone knows what the box is that's attached to side of the headstock. I drew a red square around it in the pictures. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it's in bad shape but won't know for sure until I go pick it up, wish me luck :)

Craig

Monarch_1.jpg
Monarch_2.jpg

Recently purchased a 16CY from a government auction, I get to pick it up in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone knows what the box is that's attached to side of the headstock. I drew a red square around it in the pictures. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it's in bad shape but won't know for sure until I go pick it up, wish me luck :)

Looks like half of a relieving tool. This would drive a modified compound to move in & out in sync with the spindle to relieve cutters and such.

I'm guessing that the chain was used to lift the lathe and was used between the chuck and the headstock.

I've never been happy when I see someone lifting a lathe that way, but it happens very often. I have seen it done with a lifting strap more often than a chain, though.

I've never been happy when I see someone lifting a lathe that way, but it happens very often. I have seen it done with a lifting strap more often than a chain, though.

You should read the old thread in General Discussion about lifting lathes by their tailstock. It's full of ad-hominem attacks, strawman arguments, and some sheer buffoonery!

Back