Sturgis motorcycle Rally - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    If anyone does happen to own a 10EE with the ELSR, and does come to the rally... I'll supply enough beer for the time that it takes for you to show me how to use the darn thing. Either mine does not work at all, or its a operator head space and timing issue. All of the video's i have seen on how to use them don't compute when it comes to mine.
    rcn,
    Thanks for being a gentleman about it. Says a lot about the man. And I couldn't resist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    If anyone does happen to own a 10EE with the ELSR, and does come to the rally... I'll supply enough beer for the time that it takes for you to show me how to use the darn thing. Either mine does not work at all, or its a operator head space and timing issue. All of the video's i have seen on how to use them don't compute when it comes to mine.
    Please do start a thread on that subject, the function is one reason I bought the machines in the first place, and I can walk you through it, and helping those too shy to post.

Many of you know I am a former HD dealer, and general motorcycle hoodlum, but certainly knows how to drive the Monarch EE.
    Because of working on the bikes, I have never gone to any events because thats when you have to be in the shop to make money to make it through winter.
    So, I thought I might try it, I pulled out the only motorcycle I have had, that always runs, 1965 flh Electraglide, full dress, with the Buddy seat, and tour pack.
    Because it hard to find high test racing gas while traveling, I have low compression pistons, old Sifton grind cam with solid lifters. I reluctantly replaced the Linkert carburetor, with a S&S Super B, for the long stand off, hoping for a better fuel mix,, and that was the ticket, can easily cruse at 90! Remembering that I had the bike since the 70s, and when it was high compression and had the factory Bonneville cam running 101 ethel with lead, and rolling the 850lb machine to 120.
    Here is the problem now, the brakes and chassis are just not up to contending with todays traffic, the little turbo cars move around faster then the fat old cars used to, and most every one else is texting.
    I went on a few hundred mile ride, and quickly realized if I ever going to do Sturgis, I will have to do it on a new bike.

3. Likes DrHook, 220swift liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Donie,

I will have to start a thread on that and i'll put it on my to do list. As for an update on the Rally and concerns from those on this thread over a lack of attendees. Currently, i'm told we are to expect 4-500k people as there has been a spike in room/housing rentals in the last week or so. I also am aware that all of the regular vendor slots have been sold already. So there does not appear to be as much traffic as you would expect at a 5 or a 10 year (since this is the 80th), however there seems to be plenty of reason to believe there will be just as many if not slightly more than the normal amount of folks at a regular, run of the mill Rally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sturgis and Daytona are the two biggies, and this year sure sounds like fun but what with COVID-19, count me amongst those of a 'certain age' who is skipping all events. And for those who believe it's all BS, I'll relate my wife's cousin is in hospital and because she took a turn for the worse on Wednesday, they put her on a ventilator. Things are now looking grim because the statistics for how many come off the ventilator and leave the hospital are very sobering. Anyway, as a life long biker (and near daily rider of a Sportster in Florida - maybe 30 minutes from Daytona), I am certainly with you vice folks on the interstate texting and otherwise doing stupid things whilst driving effectively making me more invisible to them than in years past. Living near Orlando as I do, thus means I principally stick to the surface roads these days, which bring their own hazards, sigh. Anyway, those attending, have fun!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not certain I will be at the rally this year, as I was at the 75th, and the moron level was too high for me then, and this is the 80th. We just go to ride, and don't do the concerts and crowds, but the jackwagons who buy brand new baggers and drive 20 over the speed limit once every 5 yrs tempt me to behave un-neighborly… However, I get to Deadwood/Sturgis a few times a year, as I am only 2 hours away(how I drive )
    I'll PM and be in touch!

7. Likes atomarc liked this post