Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Jbeech loses a relative you Covid, and you jackholes can't control yourselves for a moment but to jump up and claim it's just "a fraud".

I'd ask how you guys can look in the mirror, but it's clear you lack the genes that would have handled "insight" and "empathy". Just like your Dear Leader...
    especially with Bob Woodward's audio tapes of interviews w/trump showing trump knew it was much worse but lied that it was a hoax and downplayed it later to avoid panic.

My neighbors uncle died of it, and he came over and still said the virus is a hoax... HUH? how could it be a hoax, but your uncle died of it? How do you reconcile that?

A it is a dangerous virus.
    B it's worse than the flu.
    C many will die, and many won't.
    If you thought it was a hoax and die because you didn't take it seriously.. well that's your problem, I won't care if you didn't care.

If you took efforts to protect those around you, and yourself, and still it got you, I'll feel bad, bow my head in respect to you, and offer condolences to your loved ones. I might even shed a tear.

To the president who knew and lied after knowing... my total disrespect for him. He has never taken being the president seriously. (listen to the audio tapes that Bob Woodward has, and put online (today 9/9/2020) before you tell me fake news, if you still say fake news, well I lead you to water, but I can't make you drink).
    Last edited by woodchuckNJ; 09-09-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61, JCByrd24, TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    Here is the problem now, the brakes and chassis are just not up to contending with todays traffic, the little turbo cars move around faster then the fat old cars used to, and most every one else is texting.
    I went on a few hundred mile ride, and quickly realized if I ever going to do Sturgis, I will have to do it on a new bike.
    I know the feeling. A brochure for my '30 Indian Scout brags that with their new front brake it will bring the bike to a dead stop from 60 mph in only 12 seconds. I rode it a fair amount, but I gave everyone a lot of room. Probably my greatest fear was that someone would think I could stop and cut me off.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I know the feeling. A brochure for my '30 Indian Scout brags that with their new front brake it will bring the bike to a dead stop from 60 mph in only 12 seconds. I rode it a fair amount, but I gave everyone a lot of room. Probably my greatest fear was that someone would think I could stop and cut me off.

Bill
    Reminds me of the old VW Beetle billboard: "0 to 60 ... Yes"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Folks, I was merely wondering how things went in Sturgis itself because rcn11thacr had responded he worked in the Sturgis VA hospital and thus, I figured he likely had some local insight. I never in a million years mentioned that study in hopes it would lead to, or become, a brouhaha and source of discord amongst friends.

The article I linked was a summation, which quoted from a study. I eyeballed the study as well and decided not to link to it because it gets elbow deep in math and wouldn't be of general interest, e.g. if you like math, it's easy enough to find on your own. Along those lines, a brief article in Gizmodo is significantly easier to digest and is more even handed in its conclusions - How to Read That Damning Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 'Superspreader' Study Like a Scientist - and I offer it up only as information and NOT as a political statement.

Speaking of politics, I'll vote come November and I hope you do too. How I'll vote is nobody else's business. What matters is that you make the time to exercise your franchise because there's been a lot of blood spilled to ensure we can. We all hold various political views, but remember this; they're just like Thanksgiving dinner family arguments, e.g. Biden vs. Trump is a lot like arguing over Bills vs. Jets, Auburn vs. Alabama, Indian vs. Harley, or Hardinge vs. Monarch . . . unlikely to change anybody's mind.

My point? Two actually; first don't take any of this too seriously because we're just the grease in the gears being manipulated by the big money into thinking certain ways. Second; just like family comes together following holiday dinner squabbles with hugs and kisses all around as we scatter to the four winds (which in the case of team blue vs. team red, may take the rest of our lifetime as we're in a time of a sea change on many subjects), in the end we're all still Americans. May God Bless America.

8. Likes jbacc, Mud, dalmatiangirl61, 9100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do work for a local Harley speed shop in the OC.

I asked the owner if he or any of his friends went to Sturgis.

He said nobody went, it was a combination of Covid and $'s. I was surprised they thought Covid was a reason to stay away. the owner and the other guys refuse to wear masks, and think it's mostly a hoax. Not sure what changed their mind.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Looks like a big nothing burger out of Sturgis:
    [url=https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2020/09/13/tale-two-mass-gatherings-sturgis-super-spreader-bike-rally-vs-black-lives-matter-fiery-but-mostly-peaceful-protests]
    The "strategic culture foundation"? Hmm. Never heard of it. That sounds very.. strategic.. As in, strategically made up.

Oh, It is based in Russia. Seriously. What a joke.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/strat...re-foundation/

"Overall, we rate the Strategic Culture Foundation (SCF) a Questionable source based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as a complete lack of transparency with the goal to deceive readers. This is not a credible source.

Reasoning: Extreme Right, Conspiracy, Propaganda, Complete Lack of Transparency
    World Press Freedom Rank: Russia 149/180

History

Founded in 2010, the Strategic Culture Foundation (SCF) provides a platform for exclusive analysis, research, and policy comment on Eurasian and global affairs.

SCF completely lacks transparency by not listing owners or editors. Further, the domain is registered in Russia, which the owners do not openly disclose and there is not a contact page provided.

Funded by / Ownership

Ownership of the Strategic Culture Foundation is not disclosed. We cannot determine how revenue is derived as there does not appear to be a source of monetization (ads, donations, etc). However, the site features authors and has maintenance costs, so funding is coming from somewhere."

12. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    The "strategic culture foundation"? Hmm. Never heard of it. That sounds very.. strategic.. As in, strategically made up.

Oh, It is based in Russia. Seriously. What a joke.
    So what exactly did you not like in the article, that it was fact based since no "super spreader event" was caused by the riders in Sturgis?
    Try do dispute the articles content rather that the site that poste it. What did you find out in doing research of the ACTUAL AUTOR of the article, or was that to much digging to do your ad hominem....

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Note - I also don't give any fucks what China thinks.
    China doesn't actually care It's me that has a vested interest in the US ... Chinese people just think you're crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm saddened at the turn this thread has taken. This site is not the exactly sort where I expect/want/desire politics. E.g. I would have hoped we'd all be grown axx men - e.g. with the bare discipline required to check our blue/red guns at the door. Not the case, sigh. Could this be why the one fellow who works at the Sturgis VA hospital hasn't returned to share information? It's a definite shame if this is why. Anyway, guys, I'm disappointed. And please try a little harder to keep this from becoming yet another place crawling with political craziness . . . please!

16. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And please try a little harder to keep this from becoming yet another place crawling with political craziness . . . please!
    Too late.There's more political bickering here than machining content. That's why those guys are here. Some of us call it the Thermite Channel - All Thermite All The Time. And those who argue with Thermite or his AKAs. Most of the productive contributors have gotten bored and disappeared.

18. Likes Kyle Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Too late.There's more political bickering here than machining content. That's why those guys are here. Some of us call it the Thermite Channel - All Thermite All The Time. And those who argue with Thermite or his AKAs. Most of the productive contributors have gotten bored and disappeared.
    I agree. This is a forum for professional machinists. When some of this nonsense started on the gunsmithing forum, George Gaskill put a stop in no uncertain terms, "If you keep this up, I will lock the thread." We could use a few more such moderators. I am thoroughly fed up with Thermite and Donie acting like spoiled 2 year olds. If it was up to me, I would drop the Guillotine on both.

Bill

20. Likes atomarc, woodchuckNJ, rakort, jbacc, labeeman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been keeping an eye on the thread and will lock it if it gets too out of line, but I don't like to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. I do what I can to stop the bickering by deleting part or all of the offending posts/threads. Moderators at my level don't have the ability to ban members, nor do I have the ability to send them a message, beyond what any user has.

Cal
    ---

22. Likes labeeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on the thread and will lock it if it gets too out of line, but I don't like to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. I do what I can to stop the bickering by deleting part or all of the offending posts/threads. Moderators at my level don't have the ability to ban members, nor do I have the ability to send them a message, beyond what any user has.

Cal
    ---
    One other thing you can do is move the thread to a different forum. I would suggest General.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread was/ is a bit of a confusion. The topic begins with the M/C event, but it quickly reveals it's self as a 10EE thread...

Whenever any crack of light to go off topic can be seen, we machinists are all over it like a cylinder square on a AAA granite !

Confusion is a great opener!

So give this one a bye, and give it a rest. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cal,
    If I may add, yes but . . . the OP, rcn11thacr, within post #31 mentioned he works at the VA in Sturgis. Frankly, I've been hoping he would add further details regarding cases because he's one of us - and - on the front lines.

26. Likes 9100 liked this post