What's new
What's new

Sundstrand oil capacity

Fizzy

Plastic
Just purchased a CVA lathe - looks to be in very good condition.
Similar to the Monarch in most respects.
It uses the same Sundstrand hydraulic drive but has manual speed selection for some strange reason. I think CVA stuck with it right through production.

Anyway the last owner had looked after the lathe - topped everything up EXCEPT he knew nothing about the drive! The oil sight glass was filthy and black. Cleaned it off no oil showing. I was very concerned - also a small leak inside the bottom pulley.

I drained the oil out - thick as treacle - probably iso100 not 68 as the CVA manual is ambiguous. Thought at first it was empty but after 3 hours there was rather a lot.

Refilled with 5L of iso68. Still not showing on the sight glass.

Anyone know how much these things take? And is an oil leak from around the pulley locking nut anything to worry about?
Thanks - new on here so please be patient!

My 10EE Sundstrand manual is not real helpful. It says "oil capacity - 3 to 5 gallons". Now that is quite a range in capacity. Perhaps the capacity depends on how the oil is drained, whether the pump was removed, etc. Anyway I think you might need to double your 5L, but go slow.

Please include some pictures of your drive and lathe, it sounds quite interesting. How does the manual speed selection work?

Dave

I have noticed my oil leak is still there - came back overnight.
I put 5L of new oil in.
I wonder if sealing the pulley itself might help?
Any ideas?

cvaoil1.jpg

You might be able to get it to seal without removing pully. I cant tell if there is a washer behind nut or not. But if you pull nut and washer, then dry it with brake clean or starting fluid.

Then use your favorite glue behind washer and nut. Maybe Cummins gray which is Loctite 5699. A type of silicone that is used where no paper gasket exists.

Or maybe an anerobic sealer like Loctite 518 or 515.

If I was removing pulley, Id use anerobic on the inside ID of pulley and shove it back on. And add some to nut/washer also.

not easy posting pictures here is it? What is the best way?

Your picture is a good size when I click on it. The one thing you are missing is that when you are editing your post, double click on each image. That will bring up a dialog box where you can select large size.

5C4E2C85-C8CB-4763-8F3D-EEEA80191D06.jpg

CVA Drive Gearbox

Hi Fizzy,

It's not a hydraulic drive. Just a plain gearbox.
As far as I know it was CVA's own design and was used in:

CVA Mk1 (short bed 20" BC with clutch) 194? to 1950,
CVA Mk1A (30" BC but retaining the clutch) 1950-51,
CVA Mk1A series II (30" BC, no clutch but Apron forward/reverse via a third shaft and switch at the tailstock end of the bed) 1951-1956ish
CVA Mk1A series III (as series II but different electrical and coolant arrangement) 1957-???

There were at least two variants in terms of ratios.

Later CVA's (made by Cole and Sons in Dorking) did have variable speed with DC motor - so back to what Monarch started with!

But to get back to the oil leak. Mine leaked there too. It's a bit of a strange arrangement since the oil seal runs on the boss of the pulley. I suspect many have found this out when they took the pulley off without draining the gearbox first :)

This is the gearbox (mine's the flat belt version)
P1010047.jpg

With the pulley removed
P2020019.jpg

And the pulley looks like this
P2040005.jpg

The flaw in this arrangement is that the keyway isn't really sealed.

I replaced the original leather seal in the gearbox end plate with a modern nitrile one.
P4080028.jpg

But I also managed to modify the pulley to get an O ring in. There's just enough plain shaft between the end of the keyway and the start of the thread to do this.
P4080027.jpg

PM me if you need the seal details and I'll dig them out for you.

Martin

Back