What's new
What's new

NASA Likes Their 10EEs

everettengr

Aluminum
went thru the NASA Ames machine shop the other day.
they have a nice shop and are working on many cool projects.
they have almost a dozen 10EEs along with some Hardinge's that still get a lot of use.
the floor under the lathes is wood on end which helps dampen any floor movement. quite cool...
here are a few picts...

IMG_20191126_143118 copy.jpg
IMG_20191126_142950 copy.jpg
IMG_20191126_143010 copy.jpg
IMG_20191126_143028 copy.jpg
IMG_20191126_143050 copy.jpg

they have almost a dozen 10EEs along with some Hardinge's that still get a lot of use.
the floor under the lathes is wood on end which helps dampen any floor movement. ... [photos deleted]

That floor looks like the one my dad described being installed in the Martin plant near Denver in the early 60's.

He said the floor of the large room where giant metal working machines were to be installed comprised 4 by 4's four feet long stacked vertically on top of a concrete base.

the floor under the lathes is wood on end which helps dampen any floor movement. quite cool...
here are a few picts...

View attachment 272343
View attachment 272344
View attachment 272345
View attachment 272346
View attachment 272347

Did you get a look at the big wind tunnel? I was there once about 20 years ago and got a glimpse from a distance. Really, really cool.

Did you get a look at the big wind tunnel? I was there once about 20 years ago and got a glimpse from a distance. Really, really cool.

yes, i did and have pictures of everything too.
i went into all of them. the supersonic was the coolest with the big vertical drop on the downstream section.
i also got to look at the main fans, motor, etc.
it is amazing that it was built in the 50s and still going strong.
they literally do notify the power company and schedule operation times because the motors use so much power :-)

also, a little off topic from machining, but also went through the supercomputer facility as well as the quantum computer. this is all really amazing stuff...

I work there, and I am proud to know a few of the machinists that work in building N220. Some real old timers, I'm sure they are a national treasure.

Last edited:
That floor looks like the one my dad described being installed in the Martin plant near Denver in the early 60's.

Yep that style floor is really great, till there is a leak in the roof!
Seen those floors swell up and become mountains where the wet got in, and become absolutely useless. It will move a Monarch EE like it was a floating cork....

Cheers Ross

Back