Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tach disassembly question - 1956 10EE square dial

While my lathe is running there is a very slight rubbing noise coming from the tach. Does anyone have any suggestions on disassembling the tach?

I read Focus's thread,

10EE Tach Repair: before and after

and his parts picture is very detailed and his work is excellent, but his round dial tach is different from mine.

I have the tach that only registers forward, nothing in reverse.

img_0913-copy.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His is only forward to round dials and square dials are the same except the input shaft is different on the square dials and is interchangeable.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bll230 View Post
    While my lathe is running there is a very slight rubbing noise coming from the tach. Does anyone have any suggestions on disassembling the tach?

I read Focus's thread,

10EE Tach Repair: before and after

and his parts picture is very detailed and his work is excellent, but his round dial tach is different from mine.

I have the tach that only registers forward, nothing in reverse.

img_0913-copy.jpg
    What Ted said. AFAIK the dial is different, then a ratio change does the rest between 2500 top and 4000 top.

One of my 10EE it is gone, but I have a complete one, shafts, gears, and all, from a part-out. IF I can find where I stashed it.

There are a couple of NOS, NIB S-W "Marine-Diesel" tachos with 3500/4000 RPM top-end on their dials in my Hell box, but I didn't yet have the OEM one off the round-dial to do what I meant to do.

See if the guts were the same.

Given the NEW ones were only about 40 bucks, complete and there is a clock repairman's hand-puller around here too. If a hand and dial swap.. etc. Cheap repair.

Otherwise, there are easily a hundred styles of auto aftermarket ANALOG ones to chose from, electric/electronic easily bi-directionally reading as well. LED/LCD one could drown in, so many out there. But I rate digital readouts near-useless for that tasking, much as analog would be on a DRO. Horses for courses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I sent mine to Palo Alto Speedo repair. I believe they were made by Stewart-Warner, and the guts were dirt common and indestructible.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    I think I sent mine to Palo Alto Speedo repair. I believe they were made by Stewart-Warner, and the guts were dirt common and indestructible.
    Fair description.

Learnt it as a curious kid before I was old enough to drive off S-W parts scrounged out of a scrapped 1938 Packard HEARSE!

But also labour intensive to repair. Partly because they WERE mass-produced dirt-cheap and nearly bullet-proof simple, so they don't have much in the way of formal provision for replaceable parts, alignment or the like.

Which is why I figured to "fix" nuthin'.

Just swap-in newly made, "en bloc" as less time of anybody's and less of it to be fairly paid-for, one-at-a-time human wages vs automated factory high-volume production unit costs.

Discounted as obsolete stock, as well. About $40 each? Some only $25?

Checked eBay? marine diesel tachometer