What's new
What's new

Tailstock taper strangeness

rke[pler

Diamond
I occasionally find that a particular MT2 taper doesn't fit into my tailstock, and it's usually because the tang stops (the screws that are intended to stop a drill from spinning) interfere with the taper. Do others run into this or has mine been modified in some way so the taper is set back some?

It sounds like the taper is damaged around
the screw holes. The problem I run into is
that several of my MT2 tools do not have the
tang extensions, and removing them requires
a tapered drift.

Why didn't 10EE's come with MT3 tailstock
rams? It seems like MT2 is a very small taper. Even Clausing 12" lathes and SB 13"
lathes come with MT3. I was surprised that
when Monarch increased the tailstock ram diam. in the 1960's that they left the bore
MT2.

-Dave

On my machine the taper was a little boogered up and I used a MT reamer to clean it up. After I did that the arbor on my drill chuck went farther in - enough so that when the tang of the arbor slipped into it's slot and stopped the taper wasn't quite in far enough to seat. The solution was to grind the arbor so the tang was longer and could fit farther into it's slot. End of problem. It only takes a tiny bit of reaming to make the tooling need to go alot farther into the ram to seat.

If you have this problem with tanged tapers and not the tapers without tangs like those on centers I would be this is the problem.

Spence

Back