What's new
What's new

testing C16J tubes

swellwelder

Stainless
Is there a way to test these tubes without some official tube testing machine? I have one in my modular 10ee that looks bad, and whenever I try to turn it on, it blows the 30 amp fuses in the disconnect box. So I definately need to see if there is some way to test it to make sure it is the bad one.

Dale Nelson

Most common way to test a tube was to replace it with a known good one. Your problem is that you probably don't have a known good one and there is the possibility that the tube is not at fault but rather something down the line. Disconnect the output lead and see if the problem goes way. OK? Go to the next point and keep going until either the defective component is found or it is determined that the tube is at fault.

Tom

Shorted tube usually does not pull the mains.

Shorted cap however...

Locate a wiring diagram and locate connection points that can remove sections of the circuit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have been told that Monarch will test tubes. Don't take my word for it, call Monarch. If you ship it to them, wrap it in several inches of the non woven padding often used in pillows. Remember to tie the ends of the roll so the tube can't slip out against the box.

The concept here, which seems so difficult for people to understand, is that the tube must be able to move in the padding, which for a light item like the tube must be very soft. When you jump off something, you land with your legs flexed so you gradually decelerate to a stop. In a drop, the tube must compress the padding and come to a gradual stop.

When buying tubes for my collection, the sellers invariably say that they will wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the box with peanuts. They might as well just drop it in a box because that packing is far too stiff for something with a large area compared to its weight.

Bill

I have been told that Monarch will test tubes. Don't take my word for it, call Monarch. If you ship it to them, wrap it in several inches of the non woven padding often used in pillows. Remember to tie the ends of the roll so the tube can't slip out against the box.

The concept here, which seems so difficult for people to understand, is that the tube must be able to move in the padding, which for a light item like the tube must be very soft. When you jump off something, you land with your legs flexed so you gradually decelerate to a stop. In a drop, the tube must compress the padding and come to a gradual stop.

When buying tubes for my collection, the sellers invariably say that they will wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the box with peanuts. They might as well just drop it in a box because that packing is far too stiff for something with a large area compared to its weight.

Bill
That will work unless USPS runs over it with a vehicle which I have had done several times.

Here is a link to data sheet

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2...741.1319397436.1581000971-22008874.1554745413

Shows filament current 31 amps

You can replace the tube with solid state replacement

Yes, if the tube is bad. However, if the problem lies elsewhere, then the shiny new replacement might go bye-bye. Remember that the old tube technology is more abuse resistant than solid state. Better to find the cause and fix before replacing expensive parts.

Tom

That will work unless USPS runs over it with a vehicle which I have had done several times.

I hate to say it, but I have changed to UPS. The US Post Office has gone downhill to the point that I can't afford the losses. The last time I sold a bunch of tooling on EBAY and shipped USPS, they lost two of the packages.

Bill

Back