What's new
What's new

Thoughts on the condition of this 10ee?

JamesBondo

Plastic
Wondering if I can get some peoples thoughts on this 10ee that is coming up for auction. Specifically, the condition of the ways. Other than the 2 semesters I spent working for a machinist in college assembling widgets, my experience is limited to hours of YouTube videos.

Some context: This is a medium to large machine shop that is getting rid of some surplus. I went to the pre-showing. One of the employees that I spoke with told me they got the lathe in 95 and it has been more or less used every day up until the point it was put up for auction. I asked if it had the original tube drive. He said it did and the machine ran like a top. I was not able to see it run. It comes with a Sony DRO, tail stock, steady rests and face plates. The collets and chuck are in a separate lot.

To me, it looks like this lathe would fall into the "well used" category and would be on the verge of avoidable. You can see in the images there are some scratches in the ways. Granted, the only other lathe I've used was kept in immaculate condition, so my only comparison standard is set high. I wasn't to impressed with the cleanliness of this and other machines there. I've included some images as well as a quick video I took of the ways. I am a beginner, so I realize I probably don't need perfection. That said, I would like to get a better feel for where something like this falls on the spectrum. I have a dial indicator and holder ordered, so I can hopefully do more thorough tests when things like this pop up in the future. Apricate any thoughts on this!

February 6, 2021 - YouTube

lathe.jpgInfoPlate.JPGWays1.JPGways4.jpgways2.JPG

I don't know anything about Monarchs, but it looks like you could fit a 0.040" feeler gauge in the gouge in that inverted "V" rail and not come above the top of the ridge.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Currently the online bidding is up to $1000. Think I will run on this one.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Currently the online bidding is up to $1000. Think I will run on this one.

Its still a good buy at $1000, just as a parts machine. i.e. the steady rest is worth $300, the collet closer and nose piece $300, face plate $100. I couldn't tell if it has a taper attachment, if so add $500. If you can get it for $1k it would be a bargain. Even with the bed in the condition it is, it will still do good work, you just need to learn how.

for 1k it's a user. It all depends what you are using it for?
it looks like it would still do accurate work, and as rimcanyon says, you can use it for parts if not.

and if it were near me for 1k I would go for it.

Look at it this way, what can you buy for $1000 dollars these days. Not much unless you get fairly lucky. Bottom line if you can afford to gamble it wouldn't be a bad lathe to gamble on.
Hodge

At about 32 seconds into the video, looks like the follow rest laying in the chip pan? If so, that adds some value.

Seems like a good part-out at worst case. Somehow the compound appears to be in much better shape than mine is, but yet my ways look nothing close to that.

I'm inclined to agree its worth around $1000 either way. If the bed wear turns out to be unusable level of bad, its worth more than $1000 parted out if you have the time and patience.

My current lathe has a bed which looks a lot worse than that, and yet is a joy to work with. People soneties underestimate just how nicely thought out and designed these classic industrial machines are. I would guess that any Monarch which basically works, such that you can drop it in you shed and start using it is worth $2000. What is the alternative in this price range. Yes you might get lucky and pick up a steal, but a working monarch, even if worn, is still a hell of a machine.
Mark

My current lathe has a bed which looks a lot worse than that, and yet is a joy to work with. People soneties underestimate just how nicely thought out and designed these classic industrial machines are. I would guess that any Monarch which basically works, such that you can drop it in you shed and start using it is worth $2000. What is the alternative in this price range. Yes you might get lucky and pick up a steal, but a working monarch, even if worn, is still a hell of a machine.
Mark

THe point is you can buy a lathe without the worn bed for reasonable money

There is no sin in running a worn lathe, only in paying money for one.

Back