What's new
What's new

Thoughts on Monarch Model K 13"

drom68

Cast Iron
I am looking for a small type lathe for the smaller work I do. Unfortunately the 10EE I have seems to be too small... Length of bed and small spindle thru hole.

I am searching for something along the lines of the 60's Pratt and Whitney C, but they are difficult to find, I did some searching and came across the Monarch Model K13.

It is about the size I need, both capability and foot-print.

I realize it is not a 10EE and I am not comparing it to a 10EE. The 10EE is not big enough, but has all that I would want in a lathe.

So the Model K13.

I read a couple of post here on PM and it is said that they are a "budget" made lathe for schools and such. But, I found the Operators manual on Vintage Machinist and did some reading. I found that Monarch did state the lathe was made for "economical turning machine with reliability and accuracy needed..." and the manual also states to use a precision level graduated in .0005 each foot.

It seems that Monarch kept it's "standard" but made a smallish lathe for those with a budget at the time. While it may not be a "toolroom" lathe, it still has the capability for great work.

Does anyone have any experience with the Model K 13" and what are your thoughts?

Also, how about the wear? It was built for economical reasons, would it have the same durability and longevity as a premium version?

The lathe can weight up to 5,000lbs, the manual states that is the average weight, but they made them in 13", 16" and 18".

Thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 7.24.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 7.24.29 AM.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01256.jpg
    DSC01256.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 7.23.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 7.23.50 AM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 62
If it serves your needs, then that's what you should get. I still use a 12" Atlas ""arghh,,,, boo,,, I'm the bad man here for even saying that" But hay, the K13 is a heavy duty beast no mater how you slice it. A hell of a lot more than I used a student (Southbend H 10) and even heavier than a Colchester student (swhich BTW is a heck of a tool). I wouldn't worry about what the elitists say and just enjoy it. Don

I seem to recall the K being an updated version of a C or CK. I have no experience with a model K but, I did run a war baby CK that was a great lathe for it's day. It may be the economy Monarch because when it was sold next up the food chain was the 612 and Dyna-shift machines with far more complex systems. The few I have seen look to be well thought out and while lacking the bells and whistles are good basic lathes.

Steve

Keith Rucker on youtube rebuilt a Monarch K and uses it as his goto lathe for much of his work. I have to agree it seems to be an economy model only in comparison to the monster lathes such as the 60, 61 to 612 evolution

Stick shift model..... Considering mass-production for me is 40 pieces think I could deal with that.

I would really like a 60 series, but space is my issue.

As far as spindle through hole, that all depends on the length, small length then bigger through hole. But my space will probably be filled with a 30" bed. And work will fit within that length. The issue with the 10EE is the 20" bed and small spindle through hole.

I'll check out Rucker's videos. Thanks

I am looking for a small type lathe for the smaller work I do. Unfortunately the 10EE I have seems to be too small... Length of bed and small spindle thru hole.

I am searching for something along the lines of the 60's Pratt and Whitney C, but they are difficult to find, I did some searching and came across the Monarch Model K13.

It is about the size I need, both capability and foot-print.

I realize it is not a 10EE and I am not comparing it to a 10EE. The 10EE is not big enough, but has all that I would want in a lathe.

So the Model K13.

I read a couple of post here on PM and it is said that they are a "budget" made lathe for schools and such. But, I found the Operators manual on Vintage Machinist and did some reading. I found that Monarch did state the lathe was made for "economical turning machine with reliability and accuracy needed..." and the manual also states to use a precision level graduated in .0005 each foot.

It seems that Monarch kept it's "standard" but made a smallish lathe for those with a budget at the time. While it may not be a "toolroom" lathe, it still has the capability for great work.

Does anyone have any experience with the Model K 13" and what are your thoughts?

Also, how about the wear? It was built for economical reasons, would it have the same durability and longevity as a premium version?

The lathe can weight up to 5,000lbs, the manual states that is the average weight, but they made them in 13", 16" and 18".

The lathe pictured was my machine, sold it a couple years back!

I had a CK model then updated to the K13, the lathes were similar as far as the feel of the two machines, hand wheels and levers!
The spindle bore on both lathes were small, under 2" IIRC?

The K13 pictured came out of a toolroom, I was the second owner!
Wear on the lathe was minimal, the machine was nice and quiet as well. I wouldn't think twice about buying one if it fits your budget and space?
One of the concessions to keep the price down, the machine spindle was a D1-6, with only three camlocks?

Stick shift model..... Considering mass-production for me is 40 pieces think I could deal with that.

I would really like a 60 series, but space is my issue.

As far as spindle through hole, that all depends on the length, small length then bigger through hole. But my space will probably be filled with a 30" bed. And work will fit within that length. The issue with the 10EE is the 20" bed and small spindle through hole.

I'll check out Rucker's videos. Thanks

The spindle through holes were small on both lathes , CK and K-13, both had D1-6 spindles....the size of the lathe doesn't affect the through hole. Spindle size is the limiting factor and how beefy the manufacturer makes the spindle?

Kevin

The lathe pictured was my machine, sold it a couple years back!

I had a CK model then updated to the K13, the lathes were similar as far as the feel of the two machines, hand wheels and levers!
The spindle bore on both lathes were small, under 2" IIRC?

The K13 pictured came out of a toolroom, I was the second owner!
Wear on the lathe was minimal, the machine was nice and quiet as well. I wouldn't think twice about buying one if it fits your budget and space?
One of the concessions to keep the price down, the machine spindle was a D1-6, with only three camlocks?

The spindle through holes were small on both lathes , CK and K-13, both had D1-6 spindles....the size of the lathe doesn't affect the through hole. Spindle size is the limiting factor and how beefy the manufacturer makes the spindle?

Kevin

Hey Kevin, thanks for the information and the manual states it is a D1-6. I used that photo from your post way back when. Unfortunately the lathe I am looking at is not the same one. Just didn't have a good pic at the time.

The spindle hole is not an issue as long as it is 30" C/C. Under and I need a bigger through hole.

Glad to hear you were pleased with it and wouldn't have an issue buying one.

Thanks again.

I am looking for a small type lathe for the smaller work I do.

So the Model K13.

I worked with 2 K-16s in the late 80's. They were about 1/2 the weight of the earlier CK models and were easy to get around. Seemed more LeBlond Regal lathe-ish as I recall. The taper attachments weren't as nice as the larger bearing style on the older ones though.

Good luck,
Matt

I have a Model K in 16x54 flavor. It is not a tank like the earlier Monarchs but it is tight and not worn out like the older ones you find.

Back