What's new
What's new

Tool Post Selection

Marty Escarcega

Plastic
Just curious, does the BXA Aloris tool post fit the 10EE pretty well? Hoping so as I have a nice new Aloris 7 piece BXA set that I got a pretty good deal on some time ago ratholed for a worth lathe. I'm hoping to use on the 10 EE. :)

As I understand it the main consideration here is the minimum center distance height above the compound top called for by the particular size tool post- you can't use the tool post if the cutting tool is still above center when adjusted to its lowest possible position. Aloris doesn't give minimum center distance heights in the literature I have, but Dorian does. They list 1 1/16 inch for their size BXA. I measure the center distance height above the compound on my 1977 10EE at 1 1/4", so the BXA size tool post should work fine.

For some reason Aloris specifically recommends the AXA for the 10EE in their literature. I'm using the AXA from my 10 inch South Bend on my 10EE and it seems a bit small. Let us know how the BXA size works out for you, seems like it would be a more appropriate size.

Back