What's new
What's new

Tool tray for 10ee headstock - looking to buy.

scott.burback

Aluminum
I have seen an aluminum tray that mounts to the headstock of a 10ee on eBay in the past. I’m not seeing it listed anymore. Does anyone have an idea who made these or if they are still making them? It might have been a couple of years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen an aluminum tray that mounts to the headstock of a 10ee on eBay in the past. I’m not seeing it listed anymore. Does anyone have an idea who made these or if they are still making them? It might have been a couple of years ago...

I would encourage you to rethink that idea. Lathe headstocks and storing stuff are not really good combinations. A tray off the tail stock end of the machine or a small cabinet/table is far more practical and, better fit with the moving parts.

Steve

76158190-DD20-4EE2-8334-C43FAE0808C7.jpg

i made this and supported it with 1.5" sq tube, 1/8 wall. bolted to the back of the lathe near the tailstock. Sturdy and provides a place for tool holders and chucks and such. Shelf is 3/16" steel plate.

Thanks guys. I have a rack that holds all of my tool holders, mounted to the wall behind my lathe. I was looking for a specific tray that someone had made previously. I don’t see the big deal leaving some calipers and a few small odds and ends in a tray with a lip on the headstock.

I have seen a couple of ee lathes with a tray attached to the headstock top cover, but since the cover is rounded both were attached with screws and spacers adjusted to level the tray.
There is a shortage of flat places to lay things on the machines. We had a shop instructor that was very into safety, he said not to let things accumulate on the lathes with flat headstocks to where objects can fall into the chuck.

I built a tray for over top of my headstock from a thick plastic cutting board. But it hovers above the cover. When I needed to mount my dro unit, I used a tube that came with it, tabbed a bracket that bolts to the back of the lathe to mount the tube to. My tray pivots on that tube sort pivots out of the way enough the top cover can be removed, or access made to add oil in that fill hole. Yes, it's real handy to have the tray there and it holds all sort of stuff, a few hss cutters, carbide inserts, insert wrenches, mic's, calipers, a dead center or two, my compound wrench, small stuff like that. No qcth's there, they reside in a rack on the wall behind the lathe with the other heavier tooling. Then there's a collet rack next to that mounted on the wall. Heavier tooling is on a shop cart under my workbench. Everything within easy reach. And no, nothing has ever fallen off/out of the tray. I milled pockets in it when I made it, though it did warp in the milling operation. It just sits there holding tools for close access. It is cluttered though as flat surfaces tend to get. So I sort things out every once in a while to deal with the clutter. And it catches small chips at times.

Regards
Bob

I know that it right pisses me off when I know exactly what I want and someone tries to tell me that I don't actually want it. I know exactly which tray you are referring to. They've been on eBay for a few years now, it seems. And just as suddenly have dropped off the radar in ( what seems like ) a few months ago. They were made of a larger piece of bar stock Aluminum, milled out to create the tray, and two smaller "feet" that were machined to fit the radius of the headstock cover. Oil plug was relocated up to the tray with a through-interface, if I recall correctly. Was not of interest to me personally, but I remember thinking they had done their homework and done a nice job of it.

Unfortunately, I'm of little help in your quest, save for a show of solidarity. a search of eBay's completed and sold listings does not show it, which means my memory if more than likely off by a few months. For some reason, I want to say that when I looked at them ( from a curiosity standpoint ) I came away with the impression that the person making them was a poster, here on PM. So, with any luck this will at least serve to keep the thread bumped to the top in hopes that they see it and reach out to you.

Good luck.

Found it! ( almost )

Found it!

Unfortunately, I only found the picture. The link to the auction/listing does not remain. Hopefully this helps you locate it, or the person selling/making them.

123630041505_1.jpg

Found it!

Unfortunately, I only found the picture. The link to the auction/listing does not remain. Hopefully this helps you locate it, or the person selling/making them.

123630041505_1.jpg

Thank you! I know exactly the feeling.

That is the very one. A couple of years ago it wasn’t something I wanted, but thought that they did a good job making them. And now I want one... Anyway, appreciate the help. I couldn’t even find a picture of it. At least I know I’m not crazy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is a 'right-fancy' tray! Do you remember what the price was on Ebay? I'm sure it was not 'cheap'.
Unless the maker/seller had a pile of 'free' aluminum bar-stock, and a CNC mill he could 'turn loose' on the aluminum stock.

DualValve

It is not ORDINARILY a "big deal" on a 10EE. They are usually turbine-smooth, even in a tough interrupted cut. Heavy machine.

I would certainly hope if by the time tools started rattling of the head stock the operator would stop the machine.

Me personally, tools on top of the headstock are commonplace. 15 years ago in high school we had nice little carousels for our tools on top of the head stock. Been in the trade a while and 0 problems have come from leaving tools on top of the headstock, carousels or piles.

Found it!

123630041505_1.jpg

Looks like a mortuary prep table.

I built one with a bearing so it swivels around when I need to add fluid to the headstock. I added another bearing supported tray that holds my 5C collets, complete set by 64ths, above the tailstock. The slightest wind and it rotates like a weather vane. Some people just don't have anything better to do.

That is a 'right-fancy' tray! Do you remember what the price was on Ebay? I'm sure it was not 'cheap'.
Unless the maker/seller had a pile of 'free' aluminum bar-stock, and a CNC mill he could 'turn loose' on the aluminum stock.

DualValve

I want to say it was around $120... maybe $150. But I remember thinking it wasn’t too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is a very good price! Just purchasing that slab of aluminum would cost 2/3 of that sales price..
If that tray shows up again on Ebay, I sure hope I see them for sale.. I like that tray..

DualValve

Back