Tool tray for 10ee headstock - looking to buy.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tool tray for 10ee headstock - looking to buy.

I have seen an aluminum tray that mounts to the headstock of a 10ee on eBay in the past. I’m not seeing it listed anymore. Does anyone have an idea who made these or if they are still making them? It might have been a couple of years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.burback View Post
    I have seen an aluminum tray that mounts to the headstock of a 10ee on eBay in the past. I’m not seeing it listed anymore. Does anyone have an idea who made these or if they are still making them? It might have been a couple of years ago...

Kitchenware department, most any well-stocked store, El Cheapo included.

Flat griddle, ELSE Fish & meat griller. Non-stick optional. Drawerliner rubber mat optional. Truck bed-liner spray optional.

The juice & oils drain gully lets chips drop-off, helps keep stuff easy to clean, the ribs keep stuff from rolling about.

Want "fancy"? use a laminated wood or Bamboo cutting board instead, route pockets for your favorites. Even mount a closed drawer, under.

Need to fab a bracket?

How far d'you have to search to find a modestly skilled metalworker? Bathroom mirror do yah?

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would encourage you to rethink that idea. Lathe headstocks and storing stuff are not really good combinations. A tray off the tail stock end of the machine or a small cabinet/table is far more practical and, better fit with the moving parts.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

76158190-dd20-4ee2-8334-c43fae0808c7.jpg

i made this and supported it with 1.5" sq tube, 1/8 wall. bolted to the back of the lathe near the tailstock. Sturdy and provides a place for tool holders and chucks and such. Shelf is 3/16" steel plate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lectrician1 View Post
    76158190-dd20-4ee2-8334-c43fae0808c7.jpg

i made this and supported it with 1.5" sq tube, 1/8 wall. bolted to the back of the lathe near the tailstock. Sturdy and provides a place for tool holders and chucks and such. Shelf is 3/16" steel plate.
    Folks can get carried away, too... Twin to my HBX-360-BC here:

Cazeneuve HBX360 Lathe

Froggie thinks it is a bloody porta-cabin,

Has so much "infrastructure" around it, yah need a search-warrant to find the LATHE'ey bits, or K-Y jelly to get stock into and out of the work zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys. I have a rack that holds all of my tool holders, mounted to the wall behind my lathe. I was looking for a specific tray that someone had made previously. I don’t see the big deal leaving some calipers and a few small odds and ends in a tray with a lip on the headstock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen a couple of ee lathes with a tray attached to the headstock top cover, but since the cover is rounded both were attached with screws and spacers adjusted to level the tray.
    There is a shortage of flat places to lay things on the machines. We had a shop instructor that was very into safety, he said not to let things accumulate on the lathes with flat headstocks to where objects can fall into the chuck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys. I have a rack that holds all of my tool holders, mounted to the wall behind my lathe. I was looking for a specific tray that someone had made previously. I don’t see the big deal leaving some calipers and a few small odds and ends in a tray with a lip on the headstock.

It is not ORDINARILY a "big deal" on a 10EE. They are usually turbine-smooth, even in a tough interrupted cut. Heavy machine. Smaller work zone than most LIGHT lathes with a quarter the mass of a 10EE.

That said, what happens if you crash sumthin', and badly?

Contents of a smooth. flat, tray can vibrate too easily into the already FUBAR'ed motating bits. Ribbed tray ain't 100% "immune", either.

It isn't so much you might risk LOSING a modestly-priced caliper.

it's that you might risk GAINING the fool thing ....as body piercing joolry!

Your lathe. Your rules, but

...holders on the base casting below speed knob, above "Monarch" badge might be lower-risk, much SAFER a reach, and actually easier to reach what with no need to move feet or body leftward, NOR reach above the workholder, stopped....of course... or so we hope and trust?

I prefer - and have always HAD - Day Job, at first, we all had one - a small wheeled work-cart. Back of me or off to the side. The Kennedy sat atop that, back in the day.

Card-carrier, job shop, didn't even now if you were going to be on this lathe, that lathe, a radial drillpress, a mill, VTL, or even a keyseater. Shift started off, foreman started his krew off.

Easier to kit out a rollabout with just what you need for the tasking. Better chance it gets stuff put BACK where it belongs more often once DONE. And/or carries a permanent load-out of needfuls.

No HS tray here collecting chips nor bad habits, either one. MY ribbed grilling trays are still in the kitchen!

Come to think of it... so is a nice "Denver Cut" I thawed yestidday..

Later, brethren.. priorities...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I built a tray for over top of my headstock from a thick plastic cutting board. But it hovers above the cover. When I needed to mount my dro unit, I used a tube that came with it, tabbed a bracket that bolts to the back of the lathe to mount the tube to. My tray pivots on that tube sort pivots out of the way enough the top cover can be removed, or access made to add oil in that fill hole. Yes, it's real handy to have the tray there and it holds all sort of stuff, a few hss cutters, carbide inserts, insert wrenches, mic's, calipers, a dead center or two, my compound wrench, small stuff like that. No qcth's there, they reside in a rack on the wall behind the lathe with the other heavier tooling. Then there's a collet rack next to that mounted on the wall. Heavier tooling is on a shop cart under my workbench. Everything within easy reach. And no, nothing has ever fallen off/out of the tray. I milled pockets in it when I made it, though it did warp in the milling operation. It just sits there holding tools for close access. It is cluttered though as flat surfaces tend to get. So I sort things out every once in a while to deal with the clutter. And it catches small chips at times.

Regards
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know that it right pisses me off when I know exactly what I want and someone tries to tell me that I don't actually want it. I know exactly which tray you are referring to. They've been on eBay for a few years now, it seems. And just as suddenly have dropped off the radar in ( what seems like ) a few months ago. They were made of a larger piece of bar stock Aluminum, milled out to create the tray, and two smaller "feet" that were machined to fit the radius of the headstock cover. Oil plug was relocated up to the tray with a through-interface, if I recall correctly. Was not of interest to me personally, but I remember thinking they had done their homework and done a nice job of it.

Unfortunately, I'm of little help in your quest, save for a show of solidarity. a search of eBay's completed and sold listings does not show it, which means my memory if more than likely off by a few months. For some reason, I want to say that when I looked at them ( from a curiosity standpoint ) I came away with the impression that the person making them was a poster, here on PM. So, with any luck this will at least serve to keep the thread bumped to the top in hopes that they see it and reach out to you.

Good luck.

11. Likes old_dave, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Found it! ( almost )

Found it!

Unfortunately, I only found the picture. The link to the auction/listing does not remain. Hopefully this helps you locate it, or the person selling/making them.

13. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Found it!

Unfortunately, I only found the picture. The link to the auction/listing does not remain. Hopefully this helps you locate it, or the person selling/making them.

Thank you! I know exactly the feeling.

That is the very one. A couple of years ago it wasn’t something I wanted, but thought that they did a good job making them. And now I want one... Anyway, appreciate the help. I couldn’t even find a picture of it. At least I know I’m not crazy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a 'right-fancy' tray! Do you remember what the price was on Ebay? I'm sure it was not 'cheap'.
    Unless the maker/seller had a pile of 'free' aluminum bar-stock, and a CNC mill he could 'turn loose' on the aluminum stock.

DualValve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    It is not ORDINARILY a "big deal" on a 10EE. They are usually turbine-smooth, even in a tough interrupted cut. Heavy machine.
    I would certainly hope if by the time tools started rattling of the head stock the operator would stop the machine.

Me personally, tools on top of the headstock are commonplace. 15 years ago in high school we had nice little carousels for our tools on top of the head stock. Been in the trade a while and 0 problems have come from leaving tools on top of the headstock, carousels or piles.

17. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Found it!

Looks like a mortuary prep table.

I built one with a bearing so it swivels around when I need to add fluid to the headstock. I added another bearing supported tray that holds my 5C collets, complete set by 64ths, above the tailstock. The slightest wind and it rotates like a weather vane. Some people just don't have anything better to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DualValve View Post
    That is a 'right-fancy' tray! Do you remember what the price was on Ebay? I'm sure it was not 'cheap'.
    Unless the maker/seller had a pile of 'free' aluminum bar-stock, and a CNC mill he could 'turn loose' on the aluminum stock.

DualValve
    I want to say it was around $120... maybe $150. But I remember thinking it wasn’t too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a very good price! Just purchasing that slab of aluminum would cost 2/3 of that sales price..
    If that tray shows up again on Ebay, I sure hope I see them for sale.. I like that tray..

DualValve