What's new
What's new

Understanding monarch 62

MR EMERSON

Plastic
HI all
I just landed my new /old Monarch 62. Can anyone give me a run down on the feeds and speeds operation? I'm not sure of the settings plate in the photo as far as carriage speeds. Selecting the speed dials on the fly works well but I'm looking for more input on setting the surface speed dial. I wish I could pick the brain of someone who ran this machine every day. It came with the original manual and sales flyer so if anyone needs a copy, I would be glad to do so.
Soon I'm ready to do a full restoration and also looking for a steady rest.

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 194
Selecting the speed dials on the fly works well but I'm looking for more input on setting the surface speed dial.

I'll guess the lower "control" is informational and not a machine control. It references spindle speed (in back) and diameter (in front) - and gives you the resulting Surface Feet Per Minute in the window

The series 62 was the first of Monarch's Dynoshift series of lathes. Going from memory up to 4 spindle speeds can be preselected with the dials on the headstock and automatically shifted by pulling up on the spindle control lever on the apron. The operator placed the lower dial to the surface speed they needed and the lathe would then shift to the correct speed.

My suggesting is to invest in a manual for your lathe by contacting Monarch Lathe LP - best option as they will give you information for your lathe or ebay for general manual.

This 62 is a beast, but keep the headstock oil very clean as there are many orifices that can clog and give you grief. Monarch can give you service instructions.

Best of Luck,

John

SERIES 62 PG6.jpgSERIES 62 PG7.jpg

Your question made me go find a Series 62 broacher I had, here are the two pages describing how to set the speed of the headstock

John

The lower speed pre-select dial is also a wiz wheel for surface feet per minute. Set the outer dial to the surface speed and rotate the big knob to the diameter you are turning.

The feed and thread plate is correct IF the end gearing is as shown on the right. Unless someone used other end gearing for say metric threads the end gearing should be correct.

Steve

That is a monster. John, can you repost the pages sharper, I downloaded them to read but they are too fuzzy. I though my 10EE was big....

The series 62 was the first of Monarch's Dynoshift series of lathes. Going from memory up to 4 spindle speeds can be preselected with the dials on the headstock and automatically shifted by pulling up on the spindle control lever on the apron. The operator placed the lower dial to the surface speed they needed and the lathe would then shift to the correct speed.

My suggesting is to invest in a manual for your lathe by contacting Monarch Lathe LP - best option as they will give you information for your lathe or ebay for general manual.

This 62 is a beast, but keep the headstock oil very clean as there are many orifices that can clog and give you grief. Monarch can give you service instructions.

Best of Luck,

John

Thank you John, im going to contact Monarch and see what I can get from them.

IMG_3848.jpgWhat is the numbers on the rt of the plate? The gearing config?
And when reading the plate, is that the carriage feed rate in 10 thousandths?
I feel like a kid trying to operate a new car.

Back