What's new
What's new

VFD control from the ELSR

Jdub63

Aluminum
My new to me 10EE came completely gutted of all the drive control. I think it was converted from the previous WIAD to a different system in the past. Most of the wiring was in a two inch conduit that must have ran to a external control box. Given the lathes current condition I have opted to install a VFD with an AC motor.

IMG_1119-1.jpg

My intent is to control the spindle direction with the ELSR and the speed with the control knob. I've reviewed several of the previous threads and I've adapted DaveE907's matrix to include the spindle and saddle direction.

ELSR Action.JPG

Please let me know if something is wrong.

Once I solve the direction part, I would like to integrate the spindle lock switch into the system; perhaps using the 3rd switch. My schematic calls out a safety switch, but I'm unsure of the function and how it's wired. The VFD is design to stop if it gets conflicting signals, so that might help in the integration.

I accomplished what you are looking to do with my Parker DC drive. Your S? Terminals are obviously different from mine but the goal is the same.

Set the forward switch (the one in the middle) to forward, the backward (the one at the top) switch to backward, run the common through the spindle lock so if the lock is engaged the common is broken.

That should accomplish what you need. The switch at the bottom of the ELSR can be used for either NO or NC to control something else you may need.

Depending on your VFD model there are probably several ways to accomplish this. You’ll need to dig into the programming/setup manual. I’d suggest finding a few examples in that manual that are closest to your goal. Do you have a vfd in hand? Sounds like you do, but if not, consider that not all vfd’s support a braking resistor, which would give you quicker spindle stop if that matters to you.

Depending on your VFD model there are probably several ways to accomplish this. You’ll need to dig into the programming/setup manual. I’d suggest finding a few examples in that manual that are closest to your goal. Do you have a vfd in hand? Sounds like you do, but if not, consider that not all vfd’s support a braking resistor, which would give you quicker spindle stop if that matters to you.

Yes, I have a Hitachi WJ200 matched to a 7.5 HP BlackMax motor. The VFD has provisions for adding a braking resistor if needed. thanks for your input.

jdub

As thermite says, it's consistency that matters when using the ELSR. Bear in mind, you generally aren't threading at 1500 rpm, so even if it doesn't stop on a dime, it will still stop on a nickel very well. Hard to judge by eye, but I would say, from 300-400 rpm, mine will stop within a 1/4 rotation. At lower rpm, it's faster than that. I would imagine you'd need the external braking resistor to get it to stop that quickly.

Dave

In the Modular drives, the bottom ELSR microswitch provides some safety functions, one of which is to prohibit the drive from being enabled with the control lever in FWD or REV. Earlier drives have the bottom switch implemented in a way that the drive can only be energized with the ELSR Knob in Neutral.

The top two switches are wired so that they feed each other and FWD can only be energized when REV is open (and vice-versa). This can prevent nasty surprises.

Earlier drives have the bottom switch implemented in a way that the drive can only be energized with the ELSR Knob in Neutral.

This would be an interesting setup, the VFD wouldn't power up unless the switch was in neutral, then once powered that switch would "drop out" and allow you to move the knob to either LH or RH. I see a couple of relays or contactors in the system. I was already planning on using a latching contactor for the start button and Emergency Off.

Most modern vfds can be set up to not engage when power is applied. If the power goes out and comes back up, I have to return the feed control back to of center and then re-engage.

Strongly suggest using none of the monarch relays. That VFD has multiple parameters that can be set, and restarting after power loss, after error, after overload. ect. are just some of them.

send pvt msg.

Back