What's new
What's new

Voltage Conversion 460 to 220V

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
I have a 1955 WIAD

it came wired for 460 and I followed the sticky instructions in this forum to change the operating voltage
I did this conversion.
Everything seems to work

question - what about the CTs?
my schematic says the secondary of the CTs should have 80volts
I'm getting 24-27 volts

I don't know what it effects
one member suggested a shunt wire across the CT primary 20"long piece of #14awg wire.
His Modular schematic had a note about the shunt

I tried it. Secondary voltage dropped to about 10-12volts
I didn't notice any other change in the performance of the machine

I have plenty of torque at low speed of around 300rpm in high gear
any lower spindle speed and the motor cycles on and off

high speed 3250rpm

should i leave it alone or spend more time on this?

Thanks

I have a 1955 WIAD

it came wired for 460 and I followed the sticky instructions in this forum to change the operating voltage
I did this conversion.
Everything seems to work

I'm getting 24-27 volts

one member suggested a shunt wire across the CT primary 20"long piece of #14awg wire.

high speed 3250rpm

Thanks

Thank you for moving this. I have deleted my request in the sticky, you might wish to do the same.

I believe it is possible to get your WiaD down to 200 RPM before the chatter starts, most especially if you have the 'large frame' 3 HP motor (probably published in another thread, but I do not recall).

The large-frame motor has around 23 ft lb of torque @ 690 RPM down to stall, the 5 HP motors only around 15 ft lb, and at more than twice that RPM downward. The 3 HP 'small frame' has even less torque than the 5 HP (I have one).

Ergo, the the older motor has an easier task of managing low RPM, the newer ones are better at high RPM.

Even if you seldom/never NEED that 200 - 300 RPM band, completing the task of getting all of your 10EE's systems working as well as can be should be easier now, while still in the midst of it, than if you have to come back to detective work, months or years from now.

Unfortunately, one of our better WiaD exerts, Daryl Bane, is dealing with some health challenges right about now, so it may be a few days before he, or another WiaD mavin drops in.

Meanwhile, your machine seems to be getting healthier by the week. I commend you for sticking with it to make that happen.

I have a 1955 WIAD

I did this conversion.
Everything seems to work

I'm getting 24-27 volts

high speed 3250rpm

Thanks
The voltage on the secondary of the CT's is dependent on how much current the motor is drawing not RPM I also noticed in another thread you mention that the FA relay was energizing that relay is energized by the voltage from the CT's.

Back