What's new
What's new

"W" series identification help

Deude-Mann

Aluminum
I am researching Monarch lathes and am wondering what model this is and what the main characteristics are. It's a little tough to search on the letter "W".

I read a discussion here concerning a "CW" model but it was not clear to me if the C was inferred?

Here is the plate on the lathe...

Monarch W.jpg

Here is what it looks like...

Monarch W - 2.jpg

Thanks in advance

I see what you mean about the swing, did not notice that, thanks. But, what the heck does "raised in the sand" mean? Is that like growing up in the desert?:D

C means - loosely - tool room. W was almost there initially, was given a C later even though without lead screw reverse on apron

Brochure before adding C designation

scan 01.jpgScan 02.jpgscan 03.jpg

Surely by now it is well known that MOST serious lathes made in the USA in that period were "raised swing" lathes - like 18 1/2 on a catalog size 16"

My CW 16 X 102 is a one owner before me from August 1946. Houston Power & Light paid $5775 for it

johnoder thanks for that brochure, that lists the specs in detail.

Not having the lead screw reverse on the apron, I can see how that could be annoying. But then again the distance between centers is pretty short (so short reach) and if it were fitted with a DRO it might not be a big deal anyway. Thoughts?

One other question though... Why is that guy trying to operate the lathe from the back side?
:)

Why is that guy trying to operate the lathe from the back side?

I'll guess he is doing what he was told to by the photography boss:D

As you can find out - if you are brave - the head stock lead screw reverse works - if a bit less handy - just like the one on the apron. As long as the spindle is going sort of slow you can reverse the lead screw or feed rod without stopping the spindle. Though being too timid to try it myself - I do not know if it has a neutral position like the apron rig found on such as the CY

If you would like the very slim CW manual it can be emailed if you would like to Private Message me that address with Monarch W for a subject line

I am researching Monarch lathes and am wondering what model this is and what the main characteristics are. It's a little tough to search on the letter "W".

I read a discussion here concerning a "CW" model but it was not clear to me if the C was inferred?

Here is the plate on the lathe...

View attachment 318125

Here is what it looks like...

View attachment 318128

Thanks in advance

The "C" stood for toolroom lathe. So a model "W" was the standard 16" lathe and a "CW" was a toolroom equipped 16" "W" lathe.

From the second picture, the base of the tailstock and the cross slide both look taller than standard, so it does appear this lathe was "raised in the sand" - its swing increased by raising the castings.

John

Back