Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wanted: 10ee apron worm gear

Looking for a used 10ee worm wheel (gear / brass) for a 1968 Square Dial. Monarch lists the part as #EE-1306. PM or email me if you have one that you could part with.
    20181027_152320.jpg

Thanks,
    Nick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

monarch should be able to supply that

otherwise check with the guy on ebay parting the 10ee out.

3. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Checked with Monarch and no used ones available at this time. ebay guy already sold that part. New one from Monarch not in the budget right now Thanks for the ebay tip.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zap921 View Post
    Checked with Monarch and no used ones available at this time. ebay guy already sold that part. New one from Monarch not in the budget right now Thanks for the ebay tip.
    Curious what Monarch wants for one of those right now? I'm gonna guess.....let's see what would that cost, hrmm, $636?

tell me Tell me please!

I'm guessing even with modern equipment there is still some.....guessing again....at least 4 to 8 hours of highly skilled focused effort to make one? $50 labor rate + benefits + profit...minimum $125 / hour. Shit the Chevrolet garage is charging something like $200 / hour these days isn't it?

With my napkin analysis I would not be surprised if it is heading north to 1K

So at the end of the day, I know why you are looking for a used one.....I always watch for used parts, if I see one you will be the first to know.

6. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lost creek machine had a 10ee they were parting out a year or two ago. You might check with them.

Hal

8. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The answer is............................................$470 . Which probably isn't to bad but I'll never wear out a used one in decent shape in my lifetime.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 220swift View Post
    Lost creek machine had a 10ee they were parting out a year or two ago. You might check with them.

Hal
    Thanks Hal, gave them a call but no luck. Said he probably would have sold the apron as one piece. Worth a shot though, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had several 10EE gears made by PM member ZahnradKopf, quality is outstanding and pricing was not cheap, but very reasonable. Might want to get in touch with him.

12. Likes Zap921, TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    Had several 10EE gears made by PM member ZahnradKopf, quality is outstanding and pricing was not cheap, but very reasonable. Might want to get in touch with him.
    Thanks for the info. I'll check in with him.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. I'll check in with him.
    I purchased one from Zahnrad, quality was excellent, happy customer.
    Tom Brooks

15. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brooksie View Post
    I purchased one from Zahnrad, quality was excellent, happy customer.
    Tom Brooks
    Good to hear, thank you!

I emailed him yesterday and tried to PM him just now but it says Zahnrad Kopf messages are full and won't accept any more until he clears some out. Oh well, we'll see if the email gets through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To get up and running. Have you thought about buying the wheel and reusing the old worm? If needed, you could make the new worm yourself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    To get up and running. Have you thought about buying the wheel and reusing the old worm? If needed, you could make the new worm yourself.
    Actually the worm is in good shape. Probably have to bite the bullet and get a new Worm Gear from Monarch, so I can keep moving with getting this thing back up and running. New thrust bearings on the way also. That sump was dry and just full of muck and swarf which is probably what lead to the state it's in. Dry is not good!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually the worm is in good shape. Probably have to bite the bullet and get a new Worm Gear from Monarch, so I can keep moving with getting this thing back up and running. New thrust bearings on the way also. That sump was dry and just full of muck and swarf which is probably what lead to the state it's in. Dry is not good!
    What ticks me off is my first guess was $450 for the worm gear....and I did my napkin analysis and upped my guess. Well I won't be on the price is right anytime soon or maybe I should just stick with my first instinct.

So at $470 I'd probably bite the bullet, not like it, and move on if most other things are looking good!

Its a high wear item especially for those that aren't well cared for. I'd also make sure that the lube line to the worm setup is open and flowing. This could be one of the larger factors the current one is near toast. My sump and most others are filled with the same muck and swarf but my gear survived with surprisingly little wear. Who knows, maybe it was replaced once?

20. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to hear, thank you!
    I emailed him yesterday and tried to PM him just now but it says Zahnrad Kopf messages are full and won't accept any more until he clears some out. Oh well, we'll see if the email gets through.
    We've been buried lately and email and PM messages keep pouring in, so sometimes it is hard to keep up with the PM box maintenance.

As I replied to Zap921, the price that Monarch is charging for the Worm Wheel is very fair. Anyone that doesn't think that there is 4+ hours of work plus material in that Worm Wheel is free to debate the point, but we recommended that he simply purchase it and keep moving in a forward direction. Rather see him satisfied and happy than wager over pennies. There will be other chances to assist him in the future.

Best Regards.

22. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rakort View Post
    What ticks me off is my first guess was $450 for the worm gear....and I did my napkin analysis and upped my guess. Well I won't be on the price is right anytime soon or maybe I should just stick with my first instinct.

So at $470 I'd probably bite the bullet, not like it, and move on if most other things are looking good!
    I suppose, in a manner of speaking, I had BEEN betting on "the price is right" for my employers for 40-odd years.

It may not make your wallet feel any better, but in the present era, I'd have "stuck a 1 in front of" that figure. EG: $1,450 - $1,470.

Simply put, gear or anything else, it is a "one-off". Think unavoidable calculating, estimating,"engineering", set-up, measuring, tear-down, packaging, shipping, billing, liability/warranty reserve, tax, regulatory, and accounting time. Damned little of it tools in the cut, and even less a percentage the few bucks worth of alloy steel. All that "burden" has to be loaded onto one unit, not one thousand units.

US shops are busier these days than just a few years back when they were pricing to just survive to better times by PARTIALLY covering costs rather than having not even that much coming in.

And "Oh BTW" Once again Monarch actually is competitively priced, just no longer based-off 1940's wage rates. Folks tend to just do that "competitive" thing out Ohio way. That's why so many of our machine tools came out of factories in Ohio to begin with. Not everybody wanted to build airships, rubber tires, or farm in the dirt under either of those.

20CW. Dollar just ain't what it used to be.

24. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    We've been buried lately and email and PM messages keep pouring in, so sometimes it is hard to keep up with the PM box maintenance.

As I replied to Zap921, the price that Monarch is charging for the Worm Wheel is very fair. Anyone that doesn't think that there is 4+ hours of work plus material in that Worm Wheel is free to debate the point, but we recommended that he simply purchase it and keep moving in a forward direction. Rather see him satisfied and happy than wager over pennies. There will be other chances to assist him in the future.

Best Regards.
    Yep, replied to your email and really appreciate the sound advice! A couple other PM's to me from your customers attesting to the quality of your work. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Folks,

Can I hijack this thread to get some opinions? I'm looking at the same $470 from Monarch for a replacement EE-1306. It's not unfair, but it's a good chunk of change, too. Here are some photos of my worn but serviceable wheel. I suspect this one is original from 1957 and in its new life in my shop it'll be lucky to see weekly use. Should I replace it while the apron is in pieces, or let it sit and see if I can get 10-20 more years out of it?

--jim

img_1213.jpgimg_1214.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it were mine I would run it for the time being, it does not look to be 50% worn yet.

28. Likes jim314159 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with labeeman.

Run it. Backlash isn't really an issue with this worm gear.

30. Likes jim314159 liked this post