What's new
What's new

Wanted: 10ee apron worm gear

Zap921

Cast Iron
Looking for a used 10ee worm wheel (gear / brass) for a 1968 Square Dial. Monarch lists the part as #EE-1306. PM or email me if you have one that you could part with.
20181027_152320.jpg

Thanks,
Nick

Checked with Monarch and no used ones available at this time. ebay guy already sold that part. New one from Monarch not in the budget right now:eek: Thanks for the ebay tip.

Checked with Monarch and no used ones available at this time. ebay guy already sold that part. New one from Monarch not in the budget right now:eek: Thanks for the ebay tip.

Curious what Monarch wants for one of those right now? I'm gonna guess.....let's see what would that cost, hrmm, $636?

tell me Tell me please!

I'm guessing even with modern equipment there is still some.....guessing again....at least 4 to 8 hours of highly skilled focused effort to make one? $50 labor rate + benefits + profit...minimum $125 / hour. Shit the Chevrolet garage is charging something like $200 / hour these days isn't it?

With my napkin analysis I would not be surprised if it is heading north to 1K

So at the end of the day, I know why you are looking for a used one.....I always watch for used parts, if I see one you will be the first to know.

The answer is............................................$470. Which probably isn't to bad but I'll never wear out a used one in decent shape in my lifetime.

Lost creek machine had a 10ee they were parting out a year or two ago. You might check with them.

Hal

Thanks Hal, gave them a call but no luck. Said he probably would have sold the apron as one piece. Worth a shot though, thank you!

Had several 10EE gears made by PM member ZahnradKopf, quality is outstanding and pricing was not cheap, but very reasonable. Might want to get in touch with him.

Had several 10EE gears made by PM member ZahnradKopf, quality is outstanding and pricing was not cheap, but very reasonable. Might want to get in touch with him.

Thanks for the info. I'll check in with him.

I purchased one from Zahnrad, quality was excellent, happy customer.
Tom Brooks

Good to hear, thank you!

I emailed him yesterday and tried to PM him just now but it says Zahnrad Kopf messages are full and won't accept any more until he clears some out. Oh well, we'll see if the email gets through.

To get up and running. Have you thought about buying the wheel and reusing the old worm? If needed, you could make the new worm yourself.

To get up and running. Have you thought about buying the wheel and reusing the old worm? If needed, you could make the new worm yourself.

Actually the worm is in good shape. Probably have to bite the bullet and get a new Worm Gear from Monarch, so I can keep moving with getting this thing back up and running. New thrust bearings on the way also. That sump was dry and just full of muck and swarf which is probably what lead to the state it's in. Dry is not good!

Actually the worm is in good shape. Probably have to bite the bullet and get a new Worm Gear from Monarch, so I can keep moving with getting this thing back up and running. New thrust bearings on the way also. That sump was dry and just full of muck and swarf which is probably what lead to the state it's in. Dry is not good!

What ticks me off is my first guess was $450 for the worm gear....and I did my napkin analysis and upped my guess. Well I won't be on the price is right anytime soon or maybe I should just stick with my first instinct.

So at $470 I'd probably bite the bullet, not like it, and move on if most other things are looking good!

Its a high wear item especially for those that aren't well cared for. I'd also make sure that the lube line to the worm setup is open and flowing. This could be one of the larger factors the current one is near toast. My sump and most others are filled with the same muck and swarf but my gear survived with surprisingly little wear. Who knows, maybe it was replaced once?

Good to hear, thank you!
I emailed him yesterday and tried to PM him just now but it says Zahnrad Kopf messages are full and won't accept any more until he clears some out. Oh well, we'll see if the email gets through.

We've been buried lately and email and PM messages keep pouring in, so sometimes it is hard to keep up with the PM box maintenance.

As I replied to Zap921, the price that Monarch is charging for the Worm Wheel is very fair. Anyone that doesn't think that there is 4+ hours of work plus material in that Worm Wheel is free to debate the point, but we recommended that he simply purchase it and keep moving in a forward direction. Rather see him satisfied and happy than wager over pennies. There will be other chances to assist him in the future.

Best Regards.

We've been buried lately and email and PM messages keep pouring in, so sometimes it is hard to keep up with the PM box maintenance.

As I replied to Zap921, the price that Monarch is charging for the Worm Wheel is very fair. Anyone that doesn't think that there is 4+ hours of work plus material in that Worm Wheel is free to debate the point, but we recommended that he simply purchase it and keep moving in a forward direction. Rather see him satisfied and happy than wager over pennies. There will be other chances to assist him in the future.

Best Regards.

Yep, replied to your email and really appreciate the sound advice! A couple other PM's to me from your customers attesting to the quality of your work. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Hi Folks,

Can I hijack this thread to get some opinions? I'm looking at the same $470 from Monarch for a replacement EE-1306. It's not unfair, but it's a good chunk of change, too. Here are some photos of my worn but serviceable wheel. I suspect this one is original from 1957 and in its new life in my shop it'll be lucky to see weekly use. Should I replace it while the apron is in pieces, or let it sit and see if I can get 10-20 more years out of it?

--jim

IMG_1213.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

If it were mine I would run it for the time being, it does not look to be 50% worn yet.

Doesn't look as worn as mine was. They crests of the gears were razor thin on one edge completely around. That gear is a quick change if it does fail, two pins on the rods > end bracket > and eight screws to drop the apron. Man, I feel good about this thing after having it apart and all back together making some chips.

Back