What's new
What's new

Weight of a model 61 lathe?

gi_984

Aluminum
Hello,
Opportunity to buy a clean looking 1957 vintage Monarch model 61. Data plaque says 16 inch swing. Actual swing 20" and 78" between centers.
Just going by a few cell phone pictures.
Seller says it is an overall length of 12 feet.
I'm guessing it is about 10,000 pounds. Need to narrow down before renting a trailer, etc.

Does anyone have a more exact weight?

Thanks!

Go to the Machinery data base on VintageMachinery.org. Go to Monarch and there is several catalog entries that will give you the near exact weight. Depending on options. You are not far off at 10,000. I think if I remember correctly it will be somewhere between 9000 and 10000 lbs.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the model 61 brochure. Looks like the base weight of a 30" center to center 16 inch swing is 7,550 lbs. For the 78" between centers add another 860 lbs. Plus an additional 350 lbs for the extra leg support. But the toolmaker version base weight is 7,960 lbs with the same weights for the added length.
Hard to tell which one from the pictures. But either way my trailer is rated for 10,000.

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the model 61 brochure. Looks like the base weight of a 30" center to center 16 inch swing is 7,550 lbs. For the 78" between centers add another 860 lbs. Plus an additional 350 lbs for the extra leg support. But the toolmaker version base weight is 7,960 lbs with the same weights for the added length.
Hard to tell which one from the pictures. But either way my trailer is rated for 10,000.
The toolmaker has lead screw reverse. The easiest way to tell is if it does not have the short handle just below the speed handles it is a toolmaker.

Mike

Probably not your first rodeo but keep in mind that trailer weight limits generally include the weight of the trailer. You also need at least a Class 4 hitch and good brakes. I hit a deer with a Monarch 16-54 which was about all my JLG 1014 could handle and trying to brake with that weight was hopeless. When I did more machine hauling I put aftermarket brakes on my vehicle and even they wore quickly. Dave

This old ground but you can not haul it without a CDL, with out a CDL you are limited to 10k max, (trailer weight added to the lathe weight - tung transfer if your state allows it, most do not ). And you need a tow rig that has the gvwr for the towed load....Phil

Trailer probably weighs 3,500 to 4,000. Subtract that weight from your 10,000.The guys and myself dont want to let the air out of your tires but use caution for safety and restrictions. A -D.O. T. ticket will ruin your day. If its close enough call a rollback.

This old ground but you can not haul it without a CDL, with out a CDL you are limited to 10k max, (trailer weight added to the lathe weight - tung transfer if your state allows it, most do not ). And you need a tow rig that has the gvwr for the towed load....Phil

Phil, You need a CDL for over 26000, and if over 26000 it must be a class A if the trailer is over 10000, but I'm pretty sure that for less than 26000, the trailer weight limit depends on your state. In Georgia I needed a class G for over 10,000 lbs trailer weight (and boy did I have to argue with the license bureau to get them to admit that). For farm use that allowed over 26000 within 150 miles of the farm (which is a Federal CDL exemption). In Indiana, as long as I'm under 26000 it's OK, over 26000 OK with a regular drivers license if your truck has farm plates. (Lots of local grain semi-trucks driven by farm kids).

Read the law...26k for everything, But any towed load over 10k...dont take my word for it call DOT ask them, its not the good old days, and try to prove to DOT that a industrial lathe is a farm item...The fines are a big deal and you get to see a judge...Phil

I'm not a lawyer but reading this wording looks pretty clear that you have to be over 26000 for either of these to apply
Drivers | FMCSA
I'd certainly be interested in anything from the DOT you can cite that shows otherwise. I was actually surprised to see that a 26000 GVWR rated vehicle towing a 10,000 lb rated trailer without a CDL is legal per Question 6 in this DOT posted FAQ Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Note that the catch is the weight rating not the actual weight. So towing a 14000lb rated trailer means your truck better not be rated for more than 12000 GVWR, regardless of load.

Farmers, Fireman, and drivers of military vehicles carry other specific exemptions from DOT CDL requirements. I noted that as an aside, I did intend that to point out that STATE requirements may vary, Georgia has a driver's licensing requirement for anyone towing anything over 10,000lbs including farmers, Indiana applies a VEHICLE licensing requirement for the farm exemption, regardless of the driver.

There are also exemptions which may(?) apply to a personal "hobby" lathe under this section Exemptions to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) | FMCSA. Again, state law plays a role too. Since my lathe is for personal use (I don't offer any sort of machining services, just for odds and ends around the farm), I certainly would think driving my own truck, and trailer, hauling my own lathe (a receipt may be handy?), I have reason to think I'm legit by Federal DOT regs.

Back