What's new
What's new

What are the chances my 10EE has asbestos wiring?

CreeCustomGuns

Plastic
The title says it all.... I have a 1945 10EE. Though I see a lot of rubber coated wiring, I am concerned due to when the lathe was manufactured it might have some amount fo asbestos in the wiring, etc.

How would I be able to check? I did call Monarch and they said that they would have no idea.

THank you!

Pretty much zero. Even if there was some it wouldn't be any danger unless you ground it up into a fine powder and snorted it. Even then any rubber encapsulation would likely protect your lungs.

Still, it might be a good idea to not grind up the wires and put them in your smoking pipe, or chew on them even if not plugged in.

When plugged in they can/may be even more dangerous to chew on, IMHO.

I think kent cigarettes had such fibers in their filters, some older plastics had the same to make them stronger, old house shingles, some older diamond grinding wheels, some dull finish oldre plasics..Qt cree: clutch and breaking system?

Lead the same, eating it was/is bad..I had a friend who lived to mid-90s with lead shot-gun shot in his skin from a hunting accident when he was 15 years old..

Now I grind, sand, saw cut and the like with wearing a mask but did many years with not doing so,lucky I have no problems.

I think kent cigarettes had such fibers in their filters, some older plastics had the same to make the stronger, old house shingles, some older diamond grinding wheels, some dull finish oldre plasics..Qt cree: clutch and breaking system?

Lead the same, eating it was/is bad..I had a friend who lived to mid-90s with lead shot-gun shot in his skin from a hunting accident when he was 15 years old..
Old Toasters, floor tiles and Roofing shingles.

The title says it all.... I have a 1945 10EE. Though I see a lot of rubber coated wiring, I am concerned due to when the lathe was manufactured it might have some amount fo asbestos in the wiring, etc.

How would I be able to check? I did call Monarch and they said that they would have no idea.

THank you!

What everyone is trying to say here is - stop worrying about it! Your safety is in much greater jeopardy from the rotating chuck.

For years I worked next to a steam pipe that was wrapped in asbestos - never realizing that it was cut open on the back side - until one day I lost something behind it and had to move stuff around to get back there.

If not the wiring, what about the clutch and breaking system?

On a 10EE? What are YOU snorting?

"Clutch" is how tightly one grips the controls.

"Braking" is accomplished by over-age-in-grade electrons, given a pink-slip by the motor, then cremated on hot resistors to make room for the next shift. No corpses to be buried, even.

"Breaking system" is what all that goodness does to CHIPS.

Even the belts refuse to slip. They are over-engineered about 4:1 for their loading. The very rubber companies that made them have changed ownership and brand names more often than a 10EE has had to change their belts.

:)

If not the wiring, what about the clutch and breaking system?

It seems you might want to hang suitable warning placards. These would be a start.

work-hazard-signs-vector-id165069238

It's highly probable that if there's not asbestos, there are nano-particles of something that might be inhaled. Carbon brushes, sulfurized cutting fluids, etc. All a risk -- especially if you've ever been exposed to the airborne residue of carbon, sulfur, and potassium nitrate.

Coincidence that so many 10ee's have outlived their original operators? I don't think so.

Too bad you're not closer. For anyone nearby -- happy to offer free asbestos remediation services to the first couple responders and take these dangerous things off your hands. Especially risky (and eligible for remediation) are the ones looking near new -- these might have 90% of their original store of the stuff.

More seriously, even if there were asbestos buried inside a cable, it's likely as safe as the same buried in the ground.

If asbestos is present in the wiring it would be in the insulation of course. If you look at the wires on the l0ee most appear to be plastic insulation, those aren't asbestos containing. The only wire insulation that could contain asbestos would be the thicker conduits with woven fabric type insulation.

Ask the guys at Monarch, they would know. I'll bet they would say "sometimes". You can clip the fabric insulation off and have it tested, should be less than $20. I would just write Monarch.

I have experience at this and I have seen 1960s era asbestos insulation on very large conduits at DOE facilities. The insulation I have tested that had a woven appearance that was shiny was always fiberglass. The fabric that had woven insulation of beige colored matte finish was occasionally asbestos. It's only a hazard if you are cutting large amounts of it (like guys who recycle wiring and strip the insulation off in large quantities).

Ask the guys at Monarch, they would know. I'll bet they would say "sometimes". You can clip the fabric insulation off and have it tested, should be less than $20. I would just write Monarch.
Monarch had already been asked. See first post.

Can they tell from records? No. Not directly.

The best they might be able to do would be to identify the suppliers from whom Monarch Machine Tool purchased bulk wire OR pre-built wiring "harnesses" - much as the automakers do. If a pre-built harness, then THAT supplier's records would have had to have survived to ascertain from whom their bulk machine tool wire had been purchased.

Next step would be to hope the maker of the bulk wire had records for that period of time.

That's rather expensive detective work if you have to pay to have it done, yah?

Most especially in the face of a typical 7-year records retention policy for mundane administrative details of purchasing and the like. It isn't the same as a casting pattern or a blueprint.

My bet is that for all the records Monarch still have, this is not the sort of information that would have been preserved. It had no value. If they need to rewire a rebuild, they use present-day high grade wire, not spools of wire rat-holed in 1939.

If indeed, it can be cheaply tested? Go for that if you think it matters.

The risks were the result of poor handling practice on a grand scale. The dangers are - and were - otherwise overhyped. Liberty ships? A Uncle went onto those right out of HS, spent the next 50 years in their Engineering spaces. His demise at a good old age was unrelated to asbestos. Heart just finally wore-out. Building them or cutting them up for scrap them was where the risk was. Same again with buildings and asbestos insulation and fireproofing.

I've worked a lot of asbestos, still use it now and then. My grandparents home was shingled with it, late 1940's, still is. Durable stuff, asbestos cement shingles.
Most of the family lived into their mid to late 90's.

Millions of residences had "asbestos plastic" flooring tile. I'm sitting IN one of those, now nearly all porcelain tile instead. If you must worry, that tile will be easier to find. I can even give you some to play with, if that's flavour-of-the-month for OCD'ing!

:D

Meanwhile .. 10EE.. The wire in my 10EE's (1942, 1944) does not look like or feel like ANY of the asbestos-reinforced insulating jackets I've ever seen.

Nor does the Cambric sleeving. It is ignorant linen, as was bog-standard in that era, just dirtier for the passage of time than average. I might have a few inches of the original around. ISTR the new stuff is Dacron polyester?

Hmmmmm...... is polyester safe?

:D

> Monarch had already been asked. See first post.

OK, you got me, didn't read it all, seldom do.

> My bet is that for all the records Monarch still have, this is not the sort of information that would have been preserved. It had no value. If they need to rewire a rebuild, they use present-day high grade wire, not spools of wire rat-holed in 1939.

Also, if there was no asbestos present, it wouldn't be in the records.

> The risks were the result of poor handling practice on a grand scale. The dangers are - and were - otherwise overhyped.

The risks were not overhyped. The risks were great to the tradesmen who installed the pipe lagging, or cut the asbestos tile siding, or fed a slab of transite into a cut saw. The people who rode the ships or lived in the house did just fine.

> Durable stuff, asbestos cement shingles. Most of the family lived into their mid to late 90's.

It's great stuff, I probably have it in my house. I've never checked.

> Millions of residences had "asbestos plastic" flooring tile. I'm sitting IN one of those, now nearly all porcelain tile instead. If you must worry, that tile will be easier to find. I can even give you some to play with, if that's flavour-of-the-month for OCD'ing!

Floor tile never hurt anyone, it isn't cut, and even if it is hammer and chiseled out after 50 years doesn't make much dust.

> Meanwhile .. 10EE.. The wire in my 10EE's (1942, 1944) does not look like or feel like ANY of the asbestos-reinforced insulating jackets I've ever seen.

Agreed, I'm just trying to participate in the forum, I don't know anything about machining.

>
> The risks were the result of poor handling practice on a grand scale.
Where "handling" is the installation, maintenance, repair, alteration, removal, salvage, and (improper) disposal.

That was pervasive. Steamships, thermal power plants, to school, retail, and office buildings virtually assured of having it, residences not immune.

But I think you'll find that "handling" covers nearly all of the worst-cases.

NB: We had no effective insulation or fire-proofing as cost-effective. On the basis of performance and economics, we still do not.

It's an uncommon, but nonetheless naturally occurring mineral. Two major forms. Basically, it was just dug out of the ground and lightly processed.

It didn't have to be made in a lab or complex processing plant from other components at greater cost.

old wiring not used for a high temp application such as theatrical lighting, projectors, or heaters was usually "varnished cambric" that was usually a more plebeian fiber such as cotton or linen, woven and sealed in a binder.

the asbestos was reserved for "critical" applications where the service temp was above 150F, and they could justify using the "good stuff"

Back