What's new
What's new

What model is this?

rke[pler

Diamond
IMG_0659.jpg

Headstock looks a lot like a C, tailstock not so much. I'm being offered it for free, just have to haul it away. No idea on condition

1932 13" model C is close, and the tail fin look of TS is less pronounced on the 13", but still not as straight as yours. The 16" and 20" have the full tail fin on TS. qcgb is slightly different too:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17512.pdf

449.jpg

12" KK from 1934:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17521.pdf

450.jpg

Found a pic of that TS, but no model number :D. 1944 Monarch Lathe brochure, page 2. "12" x 30" Monarch Lathe":

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Monarch Turning Machines | VintageMachinery.org

the pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19730.pdf

451.jpg

Maybe not the original handweel on the TS or maybe simply flipped 180. Other than that looks exactly like I remember the 1950's 12CK we had 25 years ago. Other than not being able to thread metric, it was a nice enough machine.

If you don’t want it, or if you wind up parting it out, please let me know! I need a couple of things for mine.

There's been a few requests like that. Honestly, if I go to the trouble of getting the lathe (it's 100+ miles from me) I'm pretty sure I'll be using it. I just don't really have the room in my shop for it, particularly not after bringing in the Autometric.

I got a shot of the plate and it's a 1943 CK, max spindle 550. I'll be going out to look at it tomorrow. Hard to pass up free if it works at all. Hard thing will be selling some of my old stuff to fit it in the shop including my very first lathe.

Wierd ending on this. Talked to one of the brothers on Friday and he said the only condition was that I wasn't to be breaking it up or selling it. Fair enough, I can deal with that for a "free" lathe.

So I headed out to check it out, about 2 1/2 hours west of me in Gallup. Get to the lathe and it's been run hard but generally cared for. Front way had a little wear on the back side of the V, but no real lip. Power feed control into the gearbox seems to be lifting the cover above it, so some work to be done there. There's a 3 jaw on it, 4 jaw under it, dog plate and a decent Jacobs flex chuck with collets. Some tailstock tooling including some decent size MT4 drills.

So after I'm poking around trying to figure out how to make all this work he asks what it's worth. I'm thinking "You want me to tell you the value of a lathe you want to give me?" but I answer noncommittally. A little while later asks what I'd pay for it and I'm thinking that this isn't going the way I figured, the other brothers want to give this away and he wants to be paid for it. He asks again and I'm kind of done and leave without any committment.

I may talk to one of the other brothers but think I'm going to pass on this, if the others pressured him to give it away there'd be hard feelings and a really uncomfortable retrieval when he's been thinking he'd get money on it. It's a 1943 lathe that I think was in production until it retired to Ft. Wingate for occasional use, so it's in "meh" condition. I've got a little 12x36 that I'd have to get rid of (my first lathe!) to fit this, and the CK would be a lot more powerful (assuming that the single phase motor they put in was OK) than it but not much else.

Unfortunate situation. I personally think you made the right decision to walk away.

A lot depends on the type of work you do. You know what the 12x36 will do and won't do. You most likely have a fair amount of tooling for it.

This "free" lathe on the other hand my require some work and money to get it to the same level of performance. One issue right away is the low top speed. That is unusual for a tool room machine. Second issue is its accuracy. In good condition, these machines are a joy to operate, but it sounds like this one may be a challenge.

Tom

Back