What's new
What's new

what oil?

What model lathe do you have?

If you have a 10EE, does it have 1 or 3 oil sight glasses on the headstock?

Cal
This is what Steve at monarch's recommendations

Our recommended oil for the EE Lathe is as follows:

Headstock Mobil DTE 24 (ISO HM-32)
Apron Mobil Vactra 2 (ISO G-68)
Gearbox Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium (ISO HL-68)
Backgear Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium
Tailstock Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium

Regards,

Steve Andrews
Service Manager

10EE lubrication

This is what Steve at monarch's recommendations

Our recommended oil for the EE Lathe is as follows:

Headstock Mobil DTE 24 (ISO HM-32)
Tailstock Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium

Regards,

Steve Andrews
Service Manager
Dan,

That would be correct for the newer 10EEs with a single oil sight glass. For the round-dials and older square-dials with 3 oil sight glasses, Heavy Medium should be used in the center reservoir.

I question using Heavy Medium in the tailstock. I would use way oil there (Vactra #2)

The Vactra named series, such as Vactra Heavy Medium is no longer produced for the general public. It has been replaced with the DTE named series, i.e. DTE Heavy Medium (ISO VG-68) or DTE Light (ISO VG 32).

Cal

Dan,

That would be correct for the newer 10EEs with a single oil sight glass. For the round-dials and older square-dials with 3 oil sight glasses, Heavy Medium should be used in the center reservoir.

I question using Heavy Medium in the tailstock. I would use way oil there (Vactra #2)

The Vactra named series, such as Vactra Heavy Medium is no longer produced for the general public. It has been replaced with the DTE named series, i.e. DTE Heavy Medium (ISO VG-68) or DTE Light (ISO VG 32).

Cal

Now I'm confused,
Can I still use the DTE 24 for the front and rear spindle bearing?
The Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium for the center chamber where the gearing is?
Tailstock Mobil Vactra 2 (ISO G-68)
Is this what you mean?
Dan

Now I'm confused,
Can I still use the DTE 24 for the front and rear spindle bearing?
The Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium for the center chamber where the gearing is?
Tailstock Mobil Vactra 2 (ISO G-68)
Is this what you mean?
Dan
Basically, yes.

As I said, Vactra Heavy Medium is no longer available, replaced by DTE Heavy Medium.

I use DTE Light in the spindle bearings, but DTE 24 should be OK.

Cal

I have the same 12CK X30" 1942........Just had got it 3weeks now. Looks pretty good....But I need to know about the oil also......Have you found any manuals worth anything?

I ordered the Sept./Oct 2004 issue of the Home Shop Machinist Mag. for $6.00 hopefully that will have lots of info...I have been working on Increasing the RPM and fixing the back gear also fixing the clutch.....started working on some levers and cleaning the screw and drive shaft up in front....

OK, this is an interesting question to me.....
Early (3 sight glass, square dial EE) uses 2 different oils in the head stock, while later single glass machines use only one oil for everything...Yes?

Besides the way the basic headstock sumps are made what difference is there to the working parts between the two styles of head stocks?
Don't both have the same basic internals, gears and all?

My belief is that Monarch figured out that the different oils were not needed in the Headstock (hence the single sump and level) and settled on a single product to use in the headstock.

Further i think there is some migration of oil from the end sumps to the center on a 3 glass machine..the fit of the bushings and clearance on the spindle can't prevent this. (Especially on machines that have seen some use)
Since some mixing of the oils is going to happen (i believe) i think it prudent to use a single oil type in the three glass machines just like the later single glass ones.....

Thoughts?
Cheers Ross

"Early (3 sight glass, square dial EE) uses 2 different oils in the head stock, while later single glass machines use only one oil for everything...Yes?"

DTE Light for the headstock.

DTE Heavy Medium for the gearboxes (threading and backgear).

Vactra #2 for the apron.

OK, this is an interesting question to me.....
Early (3 sight glass, square dial EE) uses 2 different oils in the head stock, while later single glass machines use only one oil for everything...Yes?

Besides the way the basic headstock sumps are made what difference is there to the working parts between the two styles of head stocks?
Don't both have the same basic internals, gears and all?
True.

Further i think there is some migration of oil from the end sumps to the center on a 3 glass machine..the fit of the bushings and clearance on the spindle can't prevent this. (Especially on machines that have seen some use)
Since some mixing of the oils is going to happen (i believe) i think it prudent to use a single oil type in the three glass machines just like the later single glass ones.....
I wouldn't have a major problem with using DTE Light in the center reservoir, but since I have both available, I use the Heavy Medium in the middle. Thousands of 3-reservoir 10EEs are still in service, so the heavier oil in the center reservoir can't have been a mistake.

Yes, there is leakage from the spindle bearing reservoirs to the center reservoir. The center reservoir has an overflow line that dumps into the chip pan. So over time the oil in the center will be thinned by oil from the bearings. Personally, I'm not worried about it. Either way is probably OK. Is the light oil in the center reservoir best? We won't know until the 60's vintage 10EEs have another 20 years of service...

Cal

This is all well and good guys, but the op steelborn has a 12CK. My manual calls for Mobil Vactra Heavy Medium everywhere, headstock, ways, apron, tailstock, all. According to my cross ref chart, this translates into ISO68. I use ISO68 way oil for all.

I'm gonna order all the right oil I need for my 10ee, how do I drain all the oil from the 3 different chambers in the headstock? I've got the early machine 1940. So I want to clean out the insides so the sight glasses are clear, what is the best way to do this? And for draining The oil, does the front and rear spindle bearings and the gearbox all have separate drain plugs? Thanks

When You flush, Im guessing you just pour the kerosene in and turn the spindle slowly by hand to get as much of the gunk out as possible?? Thanks for the help Bill

I'm gonna order all the right oil I need for my 10ee, how do I drain all the oil from the 3 different chambers in the headstock? I've got the early machine 1940. So I want to clean out the insides so the sight glasses are clear, what is the best way to do this? And for draining The oil, does the front and rear spindle bearings and the gearbox all have separate drain plugs? Thanks

The two end chambers in the headstock for the spindle bearings have no separate drain or pipe plug to empty them. Their low points and drains are the sight glass ports. You have to remove the sight glass assemblies to clean them so you'll be opening those ports anyway. The center chamber of the headstock has a capped 1/4 in. pipe under the top end cover that serves as its drain.

The sight glass assemblies will be stuck when you remove the three screws holding each one. The trick to getting them out is to twist them to break the seal the rings develop with the cork gaskets sealing them. Many of us make a simple tool out of scrap with three .125 or so dia. pins sticking out about .25 in. which fit into the screw holes. Engage the tool into the metal ring and twist the tool to break the seal.

Thanks so much! I think this will help me immensely, when I get all the oil I need to do the change! Thanks.

The two end chambers in the headstock for the spindle bearings have no separate drain or pipe plug to empty them. Their low points and drains are the sight glass ports. You have to remove the sight glass assemblies to clean them so you'll be opening those ports anyway. The center chamber of the headstock has a capped 1/4 in. pipe under the top end cover that serves as its drain.

The sight glass assemblies will be stuck when you remove the three screws holding each one. The trick to getting them out is to twist them to break the seal the rings develop with the cork gaskets sealing them. Many of us make a simple tool out of scrap with three .125 or so dia. pins sticking out about .25 in. which fit into the screw holes. Engage the tool into the metal ring and twist the tool to break the seal.

Back