What's new
What's new

Why do photo uploads fail?

I know when I do it I have to do it a certain way or I will get the fail message also. I use the basic uploader from the Insert Image icon. I also only use photos on my computer not links. If done properly it never fails.

Also it auto resizes so I have not had to alter any pictures in a long time. We are talking default Samsung S8+ pictures that are that are 4032 x 2268 and about 2mb. No issues putting a full 5 pics in any post. Just had to find the right method.

For two days I have been unable to upload photos......is it me or is something up / changed?

There are (at least) two different uploader control sets.

I use the simplest editor, get the simplest uploader. If it has resize, I haven't yet tripped over it. If a file is too large it chunks away at upload, ultimately discover file is oversize, silently ceases, no explanation.

The other uploader is associated - I think - with the WYSIWIG html-heavier editor. This seems to be where re-sizing enters.

One could experiment....

In the past there was a 98kb-ish limit on JPG and you had to resize them yourselves. Now it will automatically resize them. I haven't had to resize a photo in years. They still don't correctly handle the rotation bit, so photos taken with the camera turned sideways come in rotated.

I always use the "manage attachments" option from the advanced editor and have not had trouble uploading pictures. If you continue to have trouble, send me an e-mail and I'll get with PracticalMan and see if we can get the problem fixed.

What browser and computer type (i.e. mac or windows) are you using?

Cal

In the past there was a 98kb-ish limit on JPG and you had to resize them yourselves. Now it will automatically resize them. I haven't had to resize a photo in years. They still don't correctly handle the rotation bit, so photos taken with the camera turned sideways come in rotated.

I always use the "manage attachments" option from the advanced editor and have not had trouble uploading pictures. If you continue to have trouble, send me an e-mail and I'll get with PracticalMan and see if we can get the problem fixed.

Cal

I don't think they even render differntly nor work differently by user's browser, Cal. Just by which PM editor option one has selected.

Mac on Wintel with Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Iridium

OpenBSD on AMD, Iridium, Chromium, Firefox

All the same but for the usual diffs in workpanel top-bar trim.

Cal

junk.JPG

It appears to be a size thing....previously I had no problems....and it was obvious the BBS was resizing them

the one attached was downsized.

and I was in the advanced file management thingy

View attachment 229553

and I was in the advanced file management thingy

Interesting. Your background, even greyed is the same one I see.

But I have never once seen that "failed" message. Recall I said "fail silently".

I have pop-ups blocked, internet-wide.

So it won't be just which platform, OS, or Browser used that causes one PM member to have an experience different from another member.

It will also be the personalized security settings within each member's toolsets.

I do not know the current limits on space.
Have hit this many times in the past, server space costs money. Not hard to understand and as digital pic resolution gets higher everyday you hit these limits.
JPEG compression is complicated, high res line binary drawings take little space. High res 24 bit color make take some or a lot.
Do you really want to know the math behind this?
You can look at the file size on your computer and get an idea.
Bob

I do not know the current limits on space.
Have hit this many times in the past, server space costs money. Not hard to understand and as digital pic resolution gets higher everyday you hit these limits.
JPEG compression is complicated, high res line binary drawings take little space. High res 24 bit color make take some or a lot.
Do you really want to know the math behind this?
You can look at the file size on your computer and get an idea.
Bob

It isn't really about the storage space or its local cost, these days. PM remains text-heavy, and graphics-light by most active media averages.

It is the limits and cost of the bandwidth it takes over time to convey that graphic's byte count out to one viewer after another, after another.

Often several almost at once within a short time-window when interest has been focused.

The servers' caching accelerator can offload the local storage device. The bandwidth still gets hammered. "Cloud" at levels above needed to leverage caching further. It is not within my ken to know if PM already has such buffers or not, but it is probable.

IOW? If/as/when storage "right here on PM" becomes problematic?

PM's management will so advise us, and recommend some other course of action.

Probably NOT Photof***it, but they were not the only ones to ever disappoint, so...

FWIW I have also been unable to upload photos for the past two days. I am following the same procedure as in the past, so IMO something is broken on the PM site.

FWIW I have also been unable to upload photos for the past two days. I am following the same procedure as in the past, so IMO something is broken on the PM site.

No, I don't think so, Bruce. Something else my be awry.

During the same period, I had uploaded, saved, reviewed, edited, saved and reviewed again, abut four times, then ultimately deleted the entire post.

It was just to test some of what has been subject of this thread.

There have been several other new photos added in other threads I am watching over the same recent several days.

Development team here - can you please let us know what browser and OS you are using?

Thanks,
PM

Development team here - can you please let us know what browser and OS you are using?

Thanks,
PM

J. I think the OS and browsers - hand-helds included - are about as agnostic as can be, seem to work well with just about anything, as they should do.

"Just ID'ed", in this thread, is that if a user has "pop ups" blocked, they will NOT see error messages, and perhaps also miss guidance messages or requests for some positive box-tick. If such even exist, beyond that one error message. I cannot tell. I block op-ups.

"To Be Determined" if there are any referral moves needed that could also be barriers if those, too are blocked by a user's option-settings.

I don't see anything on the site in need of alteration. We MAY benefit from enhanced instructions as to the pop-ups and such.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks,
PM

So some facts from my seat where I started this thread.

I'm using windoze 10 with firefox. Nothing changed that I am aware of from my seat sans some sort of windoze update a week ago or so. I have been using the same procedure to upload photos all along. I tried an alternate approach (manage attachments in advance mode) and both result in the same "upload of the file failed". I can upload pixs that have been downsized without errors. I've not tried to narrow down the pix size threshold that works / doesn't work. I did post a screen shot earlier on this thread showing the error dialog box.

Looking at my update log I see the following recent updates:

Security update for windows KB4103721 5/20/18
Security update for Adobe Flash 5/20/18
Adobe Acrobat Reader 18.011.20040 5/16/18

I just tried the same upload with iexploder and the same thing occurred...downsized pixs will upload and large ones wont.

Pre-processing pixs to downsize them will greatly reduce the content I share here. Life is too busy to pre process pixs.

Thanks
Brian

Life is too busy to pre process pixs.

Thanks
Brian

?? "Downsize" takes near-zero time or effort.

View it on your own screen.
Adjust zoom.
Choose "selection" screenshot
Drag selection rectangle around what you want
Save as automagically-reduced-byte-count .png on most platforms.

I'd do THAT much just to be sure of what I had, and that it was not going to overflow other viewer's screens.

Anyone NEEDS finer detail, PM-PM or email and exchange the larger original file.

2CW

Back