What's new
What's new

Why is there a second thread chart on this I/M 10EE, mentioning 24T reverse gear?

TheOldCar

Stainless
54E40E05-44CB-4871-8253-97955032AA8D.jpg

This plate is below the regular inch/metric feed & thread plate.

Sorry that the picture stinks. Will post better one when I can get to my computer.

I meant to say "reverse shaft gear".

Better picture:

49974244263_240c6b3e05_c.jpg
[/url]10ee by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks Steve! Is this something Monarch offered? Does it imply swapping or flipping a change gear manually, like an uber fine pitch option on the already inch/metric gearbox? I've never seen this option.

Could this be actual different gearing than the standard I/M gearbox? I keep wondering if there is an extra detent on one of the levers...

This is the first time I have seen a chart for the 24T gear. Monarch states the gear allows "all" metric threads to be cut. I have never needed to use it, but it certainly extends the range of fractional inch threads also.
There is only one common metric thread the machine will not cut without the 24T gear, it is a fine thread, I cant remember for sure seems like .7 mm.

I must be stupid this morning, looking at that thread chart plate things aren't adding up. Clearly it says "top row-threads per inch" and "bottom row-pitch in millimeters". Pretty simple statements in both those. And clearly it states the threads per inch are getting finer moving from top left to bottom right, finer being more threads per inch. They actually double (tpi) going down in each column, getting finer with each step. Not so with the millimeter values, the values are actually doubling. Or said another way, by doubling they're getting coarser. That seems odd. Then too, the threads per inch continues the doubling of threads per inch all the way down each column. The metric values break that trend starting with the "B" row. No seeming correlation between the values above in rows "A". I'm a round dial user, so the threading on a square dial is something I've not ever dealt with. But it seems the values in millimeters out to correlate to the pitch of the threads per inch value. I don't see any that do that. There must be some transposing being done that's not mentioned in that chart when wanting to cut metric threads. And if it's on an I/M SD 10EE, that makes sense. Maybe if I had an I/M SD 10EE it would all make perfect sense. But reading the tpi values, the feed is being slowed down with each change starting at the top left. But the metric values say it's speeding up. That's the part that's not making sense to me. Or am I totally fucked up there?

Oh well, Regards
Bob

Surely it implies "if you swap to this 24T gear, then you can do these pitches"?
Meaning, you can't just move levers to do these pitches?????

This is the first time I have seen a chart for the 24T gear. Monarch states the gear allows "all" metric threads to be cut. I have never needed to use it, but it certainly extends the range of fractional inch threads also.
There is only one common metric thread the machine will not cut without the 24T gear, it is a fine thread, I cant remember for sure seems like .7 mm.

Keep this coming!

I feel so dumb asking this: That means the 24T thread is a spare change gear? :dunce: :confused:

Hey OldCar, hope you don't mind me elbowing in on your thread

Anybody here (donie?) know where the "correct" place is to mount the metal metric change gears plate/chart on an "Inch only" 10EE?
Same location as the auxiliary metric plate currently under discussion?

The chart and the gear noted on this chart are the REVERSE gear, not the gears supplied with either the metric transposition set or a standard I/M gear box. The reverse gear is the gear that changes the feed/threading from left to right. I looked at the drawing for my 10EE and there is no mention of optional gear configurations for the reverse gear. At least on a 1976 I/M machine, my lathe has drawing for all the supplied accessories furnished with the machine. Perhaps calling Monarch with the serial number of the machine in question will answer the question.

Steve

I must be stupid this morning, looking at that thread chart plate things aren't adding up. Clearly it says "top row-threads per inch" and "bottom row-pitch in millimeters". Pretty simple statements in both those. And clearly it states the threads per inch are getting finer moving from top left to bottom right, finer being more threads per inch. They actually double (tpi) going down in each column, getting finer with each step. Not so with the millimeter values, the values are actually doubling. Or said another way, by doubling they're getting coarser. That seems odd. Then too, the threads per inch continues the doubling of threads per inch all the way down each column. The metric values break that trend starting with the "B" row. No seeming correlation between the values above in rows "A". I'm a round dial user, so the threading on a square dial is something I've not ever dealt with. But it seems the values in millimeters out to correlate to the pitch of the threads per inch value. I don't see any that do that. There must be some transposing being done that's not mentioned in that chart when wanting to cut metric threads. And if it's on an I/M SD 10EE, that makes sense. Maybe if I had an I/M SD 10EE it would all make perfect sense. But reading the tpi values, the feed is being slowed down with each change starting at the top left. But the metric values say it's speeding up. That's the part that's not making sense to me. Or am I totally fucked up there?

Oh well, Regards
Bob

The difference is metric is given as millimeters per thread where the inch table is given as threads per inch. One measurement method is the inverse of the other.

Hey OldCar, hope you don't mind me elbowing in on your thread

Anybody here (donie?) know where the "correct" place is to mount the metal metric change gears plate/chart on an "Inch only" 10EE?
Same location as the auxiliary metric plate currently under discussion?

I see them more often than not on the lower side cover, as if there to view when changing the gears. No idea if its where Monarch would put them, though. I just keep mine in a drawer with the change gears.

Steve, I'll take your advise and call Monarch on Monday.

Donie; great info from your posts in this thread. looks like it was an option!

0.7mm not an option for metric pitch on 10EE?

So does an I/M gearbox have access to "change gears" like the inch gearboxes do? Remove cover plate and there it is? I never paid enough attention to the stand-alone I/M gearbox I had...

One more thing, Donie: I need to send you a PM but your box is STILL full. Don't be giving me the cold shoulder! (Just need your opinion on a 10EE "part")

I see them more often than not on the lower side cover, as if there to view when changing the gears. No idea if its where Monarch would put them, though. I just keep mine in a drawer with the change gears.

Steve, I'll take your advise and call Monarch on Monday.

That's where it's located on my 1977 10EE, on the lower end cover (head stock end) to the right of the vertical trim pieces. My copy of the original invoice shows metric transposing gears were included when this machine was shipped to the Electro-Mechanical Division of Northrop Corp. in May 1977 so I have a hunch Monarch mounted the plate.

Unfortunately while I got the plate, I didn't get the change gears, I was able to get a set off eBay back in 2002 shortly after getting the 10EE.

David

The standard gear on the reverse shaft is a 26 tooth 16 DP gear. Don't know if it is the same on the I/M machine. I have not run numbers, but since recent posts have pointed out that the standard metric pitches leave a few out, it looks like Monarch offered a 24 tooth gear as well as the installed gear to produce a different range of threads. the installed gear is easy to figure out. Multiply a particular pitch on the 24 tooth chart by x/24=(the equivalent pitch on the standard chart). X is the standard gear.

Donie; great info from your posts in this thread. looks like it was an option!

0.7mm not an option for metric pitch on 10EE?

So does an I/M gearbox have access to "change gears" like the inch gearboxes do? Remove cover plate and there it is? I never paid enough attention to the stand-alone I/M gearbox I had...

One more thing, Donie: I need to send you a PM but your box is STILL full. Don't be giving me the cold shoulder! (Just need your opinion on a 10EE "part")
"
The 24T gears replaces the reverse gear on the end train, "I Think", have to remove the inner cover, One of my I/M machines came with 3 other gears, and a printout related to cutting decimal leads.
Needing extra gears to cut expanded thread or lead ranges is common to every lathe. The Hardinge needs extra gears to cut 10tpi.

Last edited by a moderator:
"
The 24T gears replaces the reverse gear on the end train, "I Think", have to remove the inner cover, One of my I/M machines came with 3 other gears, and a printout related to cutting decimal leads.
Needing extra gears to cut expanded thread or lead ranges is common to every lathe. The Hardinge needs extra gears to cut 10tpi.

Excellent info! I just assumed an I/M could do no more!

Donie- send me an email. I was just going to see if you were interested in some free crap for a manufacturer's 10EE. Not much is left except the headstock, main casting and the MG drive. Headstock feels nice (not that "feel" means anything) and is free if you want it. There is not much else; I got cheap for the spare MG set. Not saying you need anything, just remembered you're experienced with that model as well as your others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donie

What were the three extra gears that came with your lathe ?
Do you have a picture of the lathe printout for the gears ?
Thanks for posting info on getting the most out of your EE.

Hal

Back