What's new
What's new

Wiper on 1944 CK reverse adjustment bushing

rabler

Cast Iron
Something of minor curiosity: My 1944 CK has the leadscrew reverse control on the apron, with the threaded "Reverse Control Adjustment Bushing" (92 in the below diagram) on that shaft where it exits the left side of the apron. On my machine, that bushing has a retaining ring and what looks sort of like two E clips with the ends cut off, so that the center tab acts as a wiper in the slots on either side of that shaft. I'm assuming the goal is to keep chips from getting into the apron that may lodge in the slots on that shaft. I mangled those clips getting them out and wanted to replace them, figured checking with Monarch was a good start. Oddly, the parts diagram I got from Monarch for the apron doesn't show these.

Anyone else have this feature? It is possible that it isn't factory design with this lathe being over 75 years old.

The image below is what Terrie at Monarch sent me when I asked about bearings for my apron so presumably it what they have that matches my serial number. I'll check with them again if I can't come up with an easy replacement. Would want whatever I used to be fairly soft like the originals, so as not to cause wear on the shaft.
ck apron sh 16.jpg

5BC7DC43-391C-439B-8F21-863EF6DE5203.jpg

Last edited:
On my 1956 61 series I have a snap ring holding two single piece items in. Not sure if a felt was between them or not, or should be. But at a guess, I'm thinking they are just special flat washers that sandwich a felt. Felt no doubt cut to fit tab as well.

Haven't dove into the apron yet though.

Just conjecture, but maybe you have two pieces per ring to allow felt replacement without pulling shaft. Or just a two piece outer ring ? But then again, a single cut edge on felt would solve that problem.

298.jpg 299.jpg

Just conjecture, but maybe you have two pieces per ring to allow felt replacement without pulling shaft.

View attachment 302012 View attachment 302013

Based on what you're showing I think I have an earlier, first pass attempt at this idea.
There's not room for felt in mine, but I do think it was two pieces to allow them to be pulled without removing the shaft. The worm at the end of the shaft that forces rotation when the carriage hits a stop makes it the most complex of the four shafts to remove.

Back