Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Yes they are. That is why it is a MHT file and 15MB in size.
    OK. I had to go and look that one up.

Described as a "proposed open standard" but seems still a de-facto Microsoft-only, or at least Microsoft-mostly critter, IE and MS email the primary display client(s).

'tis said there are converters about that would display the photos and/or convert to .pdf.

Probably most useful if I stay completely out of the/any MS-specific effort and branch a parallel trial with "the usual suspects".

"Good hunting" to yah!

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    On 149 I could see the first couple of images using a right-click "open in new tab", didn't try the others. They appeared in the page on a refresh. I'm using Chrome 59.0.3071.115

179 is a post from me and links to my server, so I think you mean some other post.
    Yes, it is. Ends "Here's the back in case it got lost".

That was my test to see if NON "Photobucket" graphics would show.

Neither graphics - nor vestigial links - show from Rich's MHTML file as displayed in Iridium browser (on MacBook Pro, Apple OS X OS).

I'll take it on faith they would display in MS IE on Windows with no add-ons or converters required.

AFAIK, the PM server does not run Microsoft-anything.

Normal web tools would be more compatible if the goal is to recover ONLY the graphics and slot them back into its ordinary "still there" text pages.

Graphics, once recovered and indexed, could be stored and sourced either from PM's own storage, or from a yet-to-be-defined local or remote helper-server other than Photobucket.

IOW the "work" is twofold:

- the actual recovery of the graphics

- indexing the graphics to new links so as to put them back where they belong correctly.

Capturing the thread text is only needed temporarily - to support that effort of correctly indexing.

PM has not lost the original of the text.

Well .. it hasn't "lost" the graphics, either. Never actually held the ones one Photobucket to begin with - just now-buggered links.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was able to download RC's .mht file and open it with Microsoft Word (took forever to load). I saved the first photo in post 009 (the slide tool) to disk, then went through the usual upload process, which put it in my album on Practical Machinist. Then I edited post 009, inserted the new photo and deleted the PhotoBucket link. The photo came in as thumbnailed image, which I guess is OK. (I'm not sure how to put the full sized image inline.)

The whole process was slow and tedious. I don't have time to do much of that sort of thing right now. It would be a great help if someone could get all the images downloaded as .JPGs and in a Google drive (or whatever) album so I can start with that. I suggest naming the files to include the post number and image order in the original post: i.e. "009_1.JPG" for the slide tool photo in post 009.

Cal

4. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    I was able to download RC's .mht file and open it with Microsoft Word (took forever to load). I saved the first photo in post 009 (the slide tool) to disk, then went through the usual upload process, which put it in my album on Practical Machinist. Then I edited post 009, inserted the new photo and deleted the PhotoBucket link. The photo came in as thumbnailed image, which I guess is OK. (I'm not sure how to put the full sized image inline.)
    I had hoped if I stayed quiet, others might have come up with several better ideas.

Time passed. Some have done. A way is now clear.

First, I believe Don can temporarily enable more than one moderator for the forum.

Advantage should be obvious. Moderator runs the store, temp-mod in the produce section deals with the photos only.

Next goal is that the temp-mod activity does not include upload nor move of graphic files at all.

John Oder has led the way by posting his recovered files as new posts onto the end of the specific old threads they belong to, AND explaining In that new post what they are, and where they were slotted, originally.

ANY member who can recover photos may do exactly as John has done. No Moderator privileges needed.

Photos now exist on PM with DB OID's.

Object IDentifiers work like a link, but do not have an internet URI format. It is a PM DB internal tool, rather.

Once in theDB, an OID can be used in "many" places to call-up the one actual copy of the photo.

Temp-mod comes along LATER, has no files to upload as they are already there, right on PM and have an OID.

Temp-mod copies the OIDs of the 'new' PM-based links, navigates to the old photo location specified, replaces old photobucket (or whatever ELSE it was) link with new PM OID.

Reload to insure it "took" and is correct. Browsers are run with zero cache for this sort of admin. Well mine are never any other way. We don't want a reload showing the OLD page.

Once photos are recovered and are back in their original holes, the temp-mod (or Moderator) may delete the tagged-on post(s) that served as delivery envelope(s) and marching orders for those photos.

Temp-mod does not otherwise NEED any delete authority, only in-post editing. If VB supports that differentiation, it would be a good one to reduce accidental deletion risk.

If the 'envelope' posts are deleted, the old thread is also back to original last post as well as having proper photos.

Suggested improvements welcome.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    The photo came in as thumbnailed image, which I guess is OK. (I'm not sure how to put the full sized image inline.)
    Cal, when you are in the editing window, if you double click on the thumbnail, you get several size choices for the photo display, one will be Full Size.

7. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Cal, when you are in the editing window, if you double click on the thumbnail, you get several size choices for the photo display, one will be Full Size.
    That works. Thanks!

It also lets you enter a photo title which pops up when you hover over the image. Cool!

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry's Photobucket images are working once again.

Cal

10. Likes mister honey, Kjelle, pressbrake1 liked this post