Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckley23 View Post
    The sled has been a real learning experience. ...

... I was also disappointed with the flatness, the sled seemed to be following the contour, although flattening it out considerably. There more to scrape than I was expecting, but a lot less than no sled. This operation had to rethought before I got to the front V way.
    Harry
    Harry,

Is it possible that one side of the sled is being slightly lifted by the tool? That is, could the insert be supporting much of the weight of that side of the sled?

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a real possibility, and I think it was confirmed when I did the inside face of the front V way, a couple of weeks ago. After I did the regular cuts, I set the tool for a lighter depth of cut, and the face indicated much straighter.

Just a little update.
    As things would have it, one of the jobs I've been running for years, got redesigned this past week, and the job got set-up on the J&L turret lathe. Part of the tooling, the slide tool, was on the sled. The result was that the outside face got shaped/planed today, the slide tool is now on the J&L, and this sequence is done. All that remains to be done on the bed is to scrape both faces of the front V way, and then go back and fine "tune" everything, if needed.
    There is a problem with the inside face, and I noticed the same problem when I did the CK a few years ago. The heat treat does not extend all the way to the bottom of the face; on the CK it was about half way, on this EE it stops about 3/16" from the bottom. This was a problem scraping the CK, but the cutter on the sled really dug in on the EE, and I don't know if it will get any better with scraping. I'll have to post a picture and a sketch later, illustrating this, but it runs the entire length of the way.

My overall impression of the sled is; It's not perfect, and I wasn't expecting it be, but it sure saved a lot scraping time. It was worth the time to build it. Whether it would be advantageous on a soft bed, I can't say, but a hard bed, definitely.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My overall impression of the sled is; It's not perfect, and I wasn't expecting it be, but it sure saved a lot scraping time.
    Harry, if you had to do it again would you consider mounting a grinder on the sled, something like a Dumore or Precise hand grinder or a small toolpost grinder?

-Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,
    There are too many problems with grinding where I have this machine located, plus other related problems. Also I don't the sled is rigid or accurate enough for grinding.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well after 2 months I can make to the front door without having to do a zig-zag course. I seem to have a small window of time to get something done on the "Wreck".
    I finally got started scraping the inside face of the front V way today, and after about 4 cycles the face was within .00025" parallel to the inside ways, although the percentage of bearing area has to be much improved from what I'm seeing in spotting with the straight edge. I mounted an DTI on the sled, another use for it, and took advantage. It was the sled or the TS base; the sled was easier, it's already been prepped.
    The problem of the soft area of the face may present a problem when I start to fit the carriage, I don't think I'm going to be able to scrape it away. I'll try and get some pictures to illustrate this problem.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I got into the scraping today the .00025" parallelism turned into .0006" approx, but the bearing area is improving. This proved to be a real head scratcher because I was seeing indicator readings that didn't agree with the straight edge spotting, but I think I found the problem and will know more when I resume scraping.
    The soft area of the inside face of the front V way is shown below. I don't think you'll have any problem seeing it, but the tool definitely dug in. I think this is indicative of a rigidity problem with the sled, or perhaps it can be traced to the positive rake tool holder I used, or maybe a combination of both. In any event, I'm stuck with this situation, but I think things will work OK. I'm primarily worried about the width of the face and how it relates to the mating slide face of the carriage, and I won't know until the carriage is finished. I've been checking dimensions of this EE's carriage and looking at my other EE, it's going to be close. I do have a remedy in mind to get rid of the unsightly "undercut" using the sled.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After screwing around with the parallelism issue off and on for 2 days, I set the straight edge up on blocks on the surface plate and indicated the spotting surface, and the cause of my problems was found. How the SE got out of straight, I can only guess. It could be residual stress relieving, the ambient temperature in the shop, etc., anyway the straight edge was corrected, took about an hour, but my window has closed for the time being. I've got to start making chips again.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry,
    just a little encouragement I have been lurking and waiting. I do not believe i have the patience to scrape but I sure do enjoy reading about reconditioning machine tools. maybe at some point when I am traveling I would like to arrange to stop by. I live Just off of I 64 in WV. and have been through Louisville many times.

archie =) =) =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a note to let you know that I haven't abandoned the "Wreck". It still sitting in the same spot in the shop. In between making chips, I've bought an addition for the shop which is taking a bit more time than anticipated, they always do, in this topic;
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=163406
    I have more need for the SE 60 than the EE at this time, so it is getting the attention.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default progress report (if any)?

Hey Harry,

Hope you are well. Have read the whole thread and was just wondering if you have gotten any further since your last post. Just curious.

Thanks Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "Wreck" and Series 60 are machines not necessary to my operations until they go on line, and they get worked on when I don't have paying jobs in the shop. I've been more fortunate, compared to other shops in the area, the last few months, and hopefully it will continue.
    The SE 60 is getting the attention, when I have windows of opportunity to work on it, as I've run a repeat job that is ideal for it, about 4 or 5 times since it was moved into the shop. I've also got another repeat job that doesn't run as often, that I just ran a large order, that would be easier on the SE 60. It's the crank operated tailstock, both of these jobs require a lot of long TS movement for loading and unloading, that I'm after.
    As my schedule stands now, I'll be out of paying jobs about the middle to the end of next week, but that can change at any time.
    This is just as disconcerting for me, as it is for the readers of these topics; the projects get drawn out over long periods of time, and each time I stop, I have to re-evaluate where I left off, sometimes it's easy, others it takes a while.

About the "Wreck";
    There are about 3 days of work left to finish the bed, and then the progress should really pick up, but that comes after the SE 60 is up and running.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default thanks for the reply

Harry,

Thanks for the reply and update, I really enjoy checking out your work in this and other threads, amazing work and great pics.

Hope you get more work in soon

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, after 14 months I'm finally able to get back to the "Wreck".
    I have tentively finished the inside face of the front V way, and got started on the outside face. The inside face seems to be within .0003" parallel to the inside ways. It will be rechecked. In the picture I'm checking the parallelism, and the black dry marker sections are were the face needs a bit more attention.

Harry

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry,

I can send you another 30" bed if you are feeling ambitious. Could you show some detail of the base extension. I have to make something for my lathe and the pictures I have don't give much on how it attaches or the profile of it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steve,
    I'll get you some pictures. The end of the base is machined for the extension which is screwed on. The are 2 drain holes, front and back and it is just as deep as the base casting on that end.
    No, I'm not that ambitious.
    Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Checking the outside face, about all that needs to be done is to improve the bearing area and the parallelism on the extreme TS end.

Steve- Here are the pictures of the base extension. It is attached to the base with 8 socket head cap screws.

Harry

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank Harry,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got done with the bed today. The indicator readings on the outside face showed a .0002"(maybe) movement for the entire length until the last 2 or 3"" at the TS end when it went to approx .0004". I've been chasing that TS end for several cycles and made very little progress. I was also trying to improve the bearing area on the entire lower edge of the face. A check with an indicator mounted on a 1-2-3 block showed a difference of approx .0001". Enough is enough. That bed is good.
    Also mounted the headstock and ran some test bar checks, after checking the spotting between the bed and HS. The flat surfaces are spotting good, the inside V surfaces are spotting good, the outside V surfaces are OK. They'll work, but the test bar checks said that possibly some corrections are necessary, especially for the horizontal readings. This will all be rechecked.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry:

First off, I'm absolutely floored by the amount and quality of work that you've put into the bed of your lathe. I hope it works out as well as planned.

Having said that,would do it again or pay to have it done next time?