What's new
What's new

Wrong on my CW16

johnoder

Diamond
For years I assumed the round thing on back up head stock (covered up by big electrical enclosure) was a sight glass.

:D

Not so - its a shaft collar on one of the shifter shafts - and it LEAKS!

Probably has a packing gland like on the front - under the stacked levers there

:D

Not so - its a shaft collar on one of the shifter shafts - and it LEAKS!

Probably has a packing gland like on the front - under the stacked levers there

You mean this one here? (See attached). Every penetration point on mine shows evidence of slow seepage. Wonder if I can replace all the packing with O-rings during the rebuild? Should hold up decently if the mating surfaces are smooth.

Attachments

• 20180804_172118b.jpg
    20180804_172118b.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 124
You mean this one here? (See attached). Every penetration point on mine shows evidence of slow seepage. Wonder if I can replace all the packing with O-rings during the rebuild? Should hold up decently if the mating surfaces are smooth.

Nice access on yours :D

I would have to take off the huge electrical enclosure to do anything to mine

A drip pan will do fine

Mine came with the optional tiny starter box... just big enough for a reversing starter. Not looking forward to removing taper pins and getting all the shift levers off. Also looking into how to best repair the couple broken knobs and quick-change selector. On both of them a piece of the casting is broken.

Attachments

• 20180817_160906.jpg
    20180817_160906.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180817_160909.jpg
    20180817_160909.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 82
Mine came with the optional tiny starter box... just big enough for a reversing starter. Not looking forward to removing taper pins and getting all the shift levers off. Also looking into how to best repair the couple broken knobs and quick-change selector. On both of them a piece of the casting is broken.

I had to get one of the levers off my ATW, to repair the caved in opaque sight glass. The taper pin was easy enough to remove but the lever was a fairly manly press fit onto the shaft. Took opposed screwdrivers to get it moving and it was a struggle all the way off. Rotating it on the shaft using the handle made reinstallation easier, though it is helpful to clock it so the last turn-and-push leaves the taper pin holes aligned.

Naturally I inadvertently left the protective film on the plastic lens so there are tatters of it where I couldn't pull it out...

Back