What's new
What's new

WTB - Monarch 10ee Tailstock Quill

toolnutgap

Plastic
Hello,

I just purchased a 1952 Monarch 10ee Square Plate Gearbox Lathe. The tailstock quill was cut back and reamed by a previous owner. As a result, the MT2 tang no longer lines up with the slot and the part that is supposed to hold the tang has been machined away.

Anyone out there have a quill, that's in good shape and might be interested in selling it?

Let me know.

Thanks,

George

With an old machine the bore in the tailstock might be too worn for a 'standard' size to work. Used quills could also show wear and your combination might be the worst of both.

Here I cover most of the work to make a new one:

10EE tailsotck spindle taper

I tried with some O1 stock but ended up with some 1144 PG that fit very nicely. All turning and reamer work with no grinding and I'm happy with the result.

I don't know if this will help you, as the measurements on yours may not allow it. One way to get around the drive tang issue, is to install two sorta large setscrews into the the ram and use these to locate the tang. When I made up my new tailstock ram, this is what I did and works quite well. I had an old Round dial tailstock, and this is what they did. Don't know if it was factory or not, but certainly looked like it.

I don't know if this will help you, as the measurements on yours may not allow it. One way to get around the drive tang issue, is to install two sorta large setscrews into the the ram and use these to locate the tang. When I made up my new tailstock ram, this is what I did and works quite well. I had an old Round dial tailstock, and this is what they did. Don't know if it was factory or not, but certainly looked like it.

They're on the drawing and so original, part number EE-1373. I added those to mine, making the screws from A2 and hardening them as I suspect they'll have to take some abuse.

I pulled my old quill to check it and it's maybe .0001 smaller in diameter than the one I made. Putting it in the tailstock I couldn't see any slack. When I checked the taper the standard went back about 3/8" past the gage line, so that's why I replaced it.

With an old machine the bore in the tailstock might be too worn for a 'standard' size to work. Used quills could also show wear and your combination might be the worst of both.

Here I cover most of the work to make a new one:

10EE tailsotck spindle taper

I tried with some O1 stock but ended up with some 1144 PG that fit very nicely. All turning and reamer work with no grinding and I'm happy with the result.

Thank you for pointing me to that thread. Very informative.

When I overhauled my 1940 lathe I installed a new old stock tailstock quill. It was .0005" larger in diameter than the original, which I still have. The original quill does not have much wear, it was the tailstock bore that was worn. The new quill corrected the slight droop, it was a very snug fit. Anyway, the original quill is available if you are still looking, send me a PM. The original quill has a dual inch/metric scale on the quill.

Here are some photos of the new quill and the original along with another spare quill:

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Both of the used quills have setscrews to adjust the gap. The new one did not, but it works fine.

When I overhauled my 1940 lathe I installed a new old stock tailstock quill. It was .0005" larger in diameter than the original, which I still have. The original quill does not have much wear, it was the tailstock bore that was worn. The new quill corrected the slight droop, it was a very snug fit. Anyway, the original quill is available if you are still looking, send me a PM. The original quill has a dual inch/metric scale on the quill.

It looks like the original quill have a replaceable scale? Never say that (or likely just never noticed). Also, the metric scale seems kind of handy.

It looks like the original quill have a replaceable scale? Never say that (or likely just never noticed). Also, the metric scale seems kind of handy.

The 1940 lathe was converted to an inch-metric machine when it was owned by Ferranti. The compound and carriage dials were both replaced with units that had planetary gears and transposed the travel into metric, and the tailstock quill was machined with a dovetail to take a dual scale. So it is not original to Monarch.

Here are some photos of the new quill and the original along with another spare quill:

View attachment 315390

View attachment 315391

View attachment 315392

Both of the used quills have setscrews to adjust the gap. The new one did not, but it works fine.
Rimcanyon
The set screws adjust what gap ?

Hal

They adjust the fit of the flat tang at the end of the MT2 tool shank. They act as a rotation stop. There needs to be some slack since you need to be able to rotate the tool a bit when you seat it in the quill.

I'm not sure that they're made to be adjustable so much as replaceable. One feature I did nothice is that the tapped hole in the quill is not tapped through so the stop can't be screwed in much more than is needed to clear the quill in the tailstock.

Back