What's new
What's new

Adding M-Codes to OSP-5020L

Wade C

Stainless
Anyone familiar with what it takes to add the optional Mcodes to the OSP-5020L

I have a 94 LNC-8 Cadet and would like to add a couple optional M-Codes. Wanting to add an air blast and medium pressure pump (goal of 150-200 psi) to the system for drills and boring bars. (Im still researching to find out what the max PSI the plumbing and turret connections can handle - so how high the pressure wwould actually be is yet to be determined)

I spoke to Okuma, and they say 2 are $2400 and 4 are $3400. But also alluded to it just being parameters, but wasnt sure as whomever they spoke to, to get pricing didnt say what was involved, just that it was best for them to install it and mentioned the parameter change that I probably dont have what I need to do it. They said its sometimes a problematic install, and can take a while if it ends up being a difficult install. Which honestly, kind of confuses me... if its a parameter and connect wires, where is the potential for a 4 hour job to end up taking a day or three?

Sounds like if its a normal install, it would be 800-1000 to have them do it.

Thought I would check in here, before I make any decisions about what Im going to do. Seems kinda steep for a couple parameter changes and a few wires.

The other thought I had, was, instead of doing the optional M-Code, was to mount a prox sensor on the turret somewhere out of the way. Have that prox sensor control a switching contactor - then, add a steel block in the appropriate spots when needed... so that when a certain tool is called, the prox sensor knows its there, and switched to the alternate pump or air valve, while still using the normal M8 M9 codes. Havent worked through this completely in my head yet, just the beginning thoughts...

Thanks
Wade

I don't have experience with your particular machine, but I've added mcodes to all my okumas and it was hardware and software. The hardware was relays and terminal blocks. They also installed new operating software with the new option.

Mcodes are one of the must haves when ordering a machine. They are usually not real expensive and sooner or later you will wish you had them.

I don't have experience with your particular machine, but I've added mcodes to all my okumas and it was hardware and software. The hardware was relays and terminal blocks. They also installed new operating software with the new option.

Mcodes are one of the must haves when ordering a machine. They are usually not real expensive and sooner or later you will wish you had them.

Why is this? I haven't come across a need for extra m-codes, but always wondered why that was an option. . .

You can do a lot with mcodes.

My old Fadal and my MCV4020 shared a Haas rotary table that ran off mcodes.

I set my Captain lathe up with a mist collector that I turn on and off with mcodes in the program. The chip conveyor also runs off mcodes and a timer relay so I can run it intermittently. Keeps coolant in the tank not in the chip hopper. I run bars in this lathe and usually load the last bar and go home. The machine finishes then turns off the mist collector and chip conveyor so they don't run all night.

I also have a Genos lathe I have a mist collector for and plan to control it with mcodes, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Aftermarket TSC pumps usually interface through mcodes. Some fancy pumps have multiple pressure settings each with their own mcode.

Probably lots more you could do especially if your into automation.

Ha, I was aware of those things. I guess I just never put two and two together.

I'm getting a osp7000 macturn operational (in my dreams, lol)
so I'm watching and learning here, thanks edster. Funny how okuma has no standardization regarding these things. Asked local support office how to turn on the conveyor....totally clueless. Haha.
Most machines have a button....

How would one figure out what Mcode are setup on a control already configured with aftermarket HP coolant and such?

Back