Any advice for those new to okuma controls?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any advice for those new to okuma controls?

I have ten years with fanuc controls, but have only ever operated okumas. They are so different, yet the same.

I'm about to start working with a new mill with osp p300m. Apparently it has the easy operation option on all the time. ("No longer an option, here ya go!") I already have a hard time interfacing with the controls and I think the easy operation may be throwing me off even more. I have people that I can go to, but they all turn the option off because they don't know how to use it!

Anyway, any advice on the fundamental differences of fanuc to okuma would be very appreciated!

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hy, i am only on okuma; i know p300m

all i can say is that i work a lot with templates; thus, easy operations are delivered pretty fast

when geometry gots complex, i export toolpath from the computer

i avoid the control/osp, because is slow when designing operations

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ugh! I am really not liking this OSP so far! Thank you very much for the reply Deadlykitten. (lol)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only dislike Okuma because you do not yet understand the Okuma. Give it time and patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a FANUC only shop. I have a mill with the 300M on it now and I love it. What part are you having trouble with? The actual g code is pretty similar, there are canned cycle differences. The cycle operation is pretty similar, lots more information on the screen but it is fairly easy to follow. The various buttons that change the actual machine mode (auto, MDI, Jog) versus the buttons that take you to different screens (tool offset, work offsets etc.) are about the biggest difference.

The steps to edit a program are a little different like having to reload the program after an edit...but wow are programs easier to actually edit.

Overall I wouldn't trade my 300M for 10 FANUC controls. If there is something specific maybe we can help.

6. Likes myemail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think one CAN turn the Easy op screen off- why would you want to. I don't have a mill, I have a lathe- the thing that threw me most was touchoffs- way different making tool offsets be active when not in program. Its an easy workaround for a lathe though.