What's new
What's new

Chuck Pressure Alarm?

clayton

Aluminum
I’m running a collet chuck on my Okuma LNC-8 lathe. I am wondering if there is a way for the machine to alarm if no material is clamped in the chuck. My chuck clamp and unclamp lights work correctly when open and closed. I don’t know if that could be adjust to be more sensitive. But I want to keep the machine from running if material is no longer in the spindle.

Thank you, Clayton

On a lot of machines there is a sliding prox switch that senses the draw tube travel. Set the switch with material in the chuck jaws and the switch will sense an empty chuck or collet.

Paul

I have had to adjust it quite a bit when I ran a 3 jaw chuck.

There are two back there. One on the left makes the clamp light go on and off. But the sensor on the right stays lit (on the actual sensor) no matter what position it is.

No matter what position the sensor is on the left the clamp light comes on when closing the collet. However, when the collet is closed it does not turn the clamp light off when moving the sensor. Only if open you can move the sensor and the light goes out.

Does anyone recall if one sensor controls both signals? Or is it two, the right and left sensor?

db5db60c877c1fa2a9c69931220074b6.jpg
09e1c035bfda243c27c7389b8dde7918.jpg

You should be able to tell which switch controls clamp/unclamp by looking at the indicator lights on the control, or if it is a combination of both. When setting the switches depending on what you want to do, such as not make if it over travels, you want to have the switch set to the trailing edge of the dog. Clamp a part then move the switch toward the spindle until it breaks, then bring it back until it just makes. Always set the switches to leading or trailing edges for what you want to accomplish, not just "it's made".

You might have to flip the holding plate around to get it adjusted correctly. Most of the time the holes are offset to one end.

Back