What's new
What's new

Convert from Cat40 to BT40

TimD

Hot Rolled
How hard is it to convert an Okuma?

I'm really tempted to try an Okuma for my next machine but I'm pretty much aligned with BT40 at this point. I know some machine are easy, Fadal for instance. How bad is it on an Okuma?

wouldn't it just be a matter of changing the tool grab fingers, and maybe the toolchanger arm position?
nope. coolant through and pull stud changes too.
i asked okuma about converting my macturm to cat40 since i was already invested there. They outright refused on an old a$$ machine. I feel a little silly for even asking now that i know there are like 30 different movements all the mechanisms need to make with multiple hand-offs.

There is an available BT40 conversion for the Genos M560V. Its not cheap, as there are quite a few changes that are required. I would ask you local Okuma distributor for pricing of this option. There are a lot of available options for Okuma's (as well as other machine tool builders) that are not outlined of basic spec sheets.

Depends on the machine seems to be the general answer. I did get an estimate on a MX-55VA, $1000 for parts and labor. That machine does NOT have coolant thru, so that may make it easier.

Not nearly as many BT40 to pick from so knowing what machines can be converted helps.

Edit: On the MX-55VA I was told they only have to change the inserts on the swing arm. In which case I'm guessing the pull stud is just a bit longer but has the same end profile. I know that's how Fadal did/does it.

Back in the days, I was part of the purchase of 2 MX40-HA's.
Both were bought as second hand machines. One came out of a plant that had a lot of Mazak's, so they had
ordered the spindle with CAT40. I asked if it could be converted to BT40, but the answer was no. The spindle nose was different and they claimed that it had to be disassembled to machine it.
Later we bought another MX40-HA, which was BT40.. So we had no chance of switching toolholders sadly..

Back