What's new
What's new

Dong Yang repower questions

aarolar

Plastic
In my never ending search for a lathe for my home shop my employer as agreed to sell me one of the company's old lathes for a very fair price, this includes letting me use one of the forklifts to upload and maneuver it around at my house. The lathe is a Okuma copy made by Dong Yang I have operated it at work and know it works well. My question is getting power to this machine in my home shop, it has a 10hp motor which is somewhat difficult. Could this machine possibly be repowered with a 5hp motor that I have laying around for free or would it take too much from it? I'll never use the 10hp to its potential but I'm not sure how badly it'll neuter it going to 5hp. The other option is I have a 25hp motor I could make a RPC out of but I only have a 100 amp service in my shop. Any suggestions to power this machine are welcome I really want to buy it knowing the condition and all but am struggling to figure out how to power it. Thanks, Aaron

It's no big deal, put the 5hp on it. It just means you'll have to take lighter cuts at lower speeds.

If you find that's a hassle, put the 10hp back in and figure out the costs to make/buy a RPC or ($$$) get three phase wired in.

Thats a good point I was just worried about the parasitic drag being a gearhead lathe.

Is there a reason you have skipped over using a 7 1/2hp motor? It's more than 5 but less than 10 and it's a common size 3 phase motor.

Stuart

I have a 17" X 40" lathe that came with a 7 1/2 hp motor. I needed to power it via a frequency drive and the Hitachi unit rated for 7 1/2 hp was more than my piggy bank could handle, so I re-powered it with a 5 hp motor and never looked back. Plenty of oink for any job.

Stuart

Back