What's new
What's new

Fact finding on Okuma lathes - mainly OSP5000L controls (mid 80s)

Wade C

Stainless
Ive been looking at a few machines here recently, and so far, all of the ones in my price range have either the OSP3000 (which Im familiar with) or the OSP 5000 control... which from what little I know is similar, but still different enough to leave me with some questions.

One machine I looked at (an 86 LB-10) seemed like a good machine (had a few quirks but might be manageable depending where the price goes) but one of the issues that could be a deal breaker, is while letting the spindle warm up (was going to run up to max to see how it sounded), it had been about 15-20 mins in and had gotten up to 4000 RPM, all of a sudden, it threw an Axis error code. Error 201-3 Alarm A - X axis servo error (or close to that - going from memory). I looked up the code in the book there, and all it said was something about the servo controller reported an error. No more info than that.

Im wondering is there any common causes for that, that are not big dollar fixes? I thought possible loose card, but since I dont own it, wasnt about to unseat and reseat the cards. I also noticed what sounded like a constant beep (once the error occured - and despite the error clearing after a reset, the beep continued). Sounded sort like the beep you get when a home PC locks up in the bios... just a constant "bbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" kind of sound. Couldnt locate it exactly, but didnt sound like it was in the control cabinet, or was far enough back and covered, that it sounded like it was coming from out side the cabinet. Maybe it was from a servo? (equipped with AC brushless servos - and noticed some fanuc labels on some chips on the cards on the door if that helps any)

Another question I had was about connecting a computer to the control for moving programs back and forth. I couldnt find it in the manuals there, in the limited time I had to inspect... but was thinking I had read that you could communicate via RS232 on the 5000 controls... just want to be sure of that.... and if so, wouldnt mind details about it if someone cares to enlighten me. Im still digging though pdfs that I have amassed over the years that have some 5000 control info... but havent found anything just yet.

Thanks
Wade

Wade:

I have a few Okuma lathes and the Axis servo errors do happen. Usually, they can by "cycle restarted" through. I believe the issues is with electrical contacts... My first LB15 does not like the cold and throws errors until it gets warmed up. I transfer files to and from the machines using a Wireless to RS232 setup.

BR,
Chazsani

Wade:

I have a few Okuma lathes and the Axis servo errors do happen. Usually, they can by "cycle restarted" through. I believe the issues is with electrical contacts... My first LB15 does not like the cold and throws errors until it gets warmed up. I transfer files to and from the machines using a Wireless to RS232 setup.

BR,
Chazsani

Hey Chaz, what wireless to RS232 setup do you have? Do any of your machines have the 5020 control?

Great old machines~

I have a 1987 Okuma LB 12 with a OSP500lg control. I've owner this machine for 5 years now and ive never had to work on it yet! I can hold .0002" all day long. Its not a speed demon, good looking and doesn't smell good but it gets the jobs done. I paid $1800 at a auction and have made almost 200k on it! I might have to have it bronze dipped when it finally dies.

Wade,
Make sure you're more specific about the control. Okuma had a couple iterations with the OSP5000. The 5000L-G and 5020 (5020L I think) are good controls.
The 5000L is good but has trouble communicating with RS232. It does communicate but I've had issues with it loosing characters during the transfer no matter what was done with baud rates. We fixed by hooking up a BTR card that emulates the tape reader. Also, some earlier 5000L machines had commutator/brush motors that need cleaned of carbon buildup every few months. Okuma upgraded to brushless servos with the 5000L-G.
My max spindle speed with an LB-15 and 5000L control is 3500 rpm. My LB-15 with 5000L-G control is 4200 rpm and quicker rapids, spindle ramp up, turret index, and the turret will take shortest path index (the 5000L indexes in only one direction).

Couple more things to add. I work for a large company. We have quite a few Okumas in several different facilities all bought brand new in the 80s and early 90s. LC-20 (about 10), LC-30 (5), a few LB-15s, LT-15 (4), couple LU-15 (one bought used a few years ago), LU-25 (used a few years ago).
After experimenting with a few other makes (Index, Mori-Seiki, Miyano...one man's vision) in the 90s and 2000s we are gravitating back to Okuma.

Thanks!
The ones I had been looking at were 5000L-G controls, but turns out the thru draw tube dia was just a touch too small to work for me. So back to looking... but Ill certainly keep in mind to look for the L-G or 5020L controls (or newer - though I expect that will not be in my budget)

Wade

Back