What's new
What's new

FTP communication on Windows Server 2016

PL1975

Plastic
Good morning,

my name is Paolo and I work into IT dept of my company.
At our CNC area there are still two very old OKUMA machines (MX 45 VA-E) with DNC option used to transfer data via FTP from and to the machines.
Along the past decades we had different Windows server versions and FTP works well (Windows server NT4, 2000 and 2008). Now we are migrating to Windows server 2016 but OKUMA DNC module does not work completely well with new server:
(1-OK)-it can copy files from server to local machine disk;
(2-OK)-it can copy files from local machine disk to server overwriting an existing file;
(3-NOT OK)-it can NOT copy files from local machine disk to server if destination file name does not exist yet, it returns an error (see three attached "OKUMA-DNC-Error_x.jpg" files).

Into Server FTP log I noticed an unexpected entry "òABOR - 500" that happens once operation (3) above is tried (see rows 23 and 34 into attached "u_ex200630_AFTER.log.txt").

Did someone had a similar behavior with FTP service on Windows Server 2016?
Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks
Best Regards
Paolo

Attachments

• OKUMA-DNC-Error_1.jpg
    OKUMA-DNC-Error_1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 81
  • OKUMA-DNC-Error_2.jpg
    OKUMA-DNC-Error_2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 77
  • OKUMA-DNC-Error_3.jpg
    OKUMA-DNC-Error_3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 72
  • u_ex200630_AFTER.log.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 59
Good morning,

my name is Paolo and I work into IT dept of my company.
At our CNC area there are still two very old OKUMA machines (MX 45 VA-E) with DNC option used to transfer data via FTP from and to the machines.
Along the past decades we had different Windows server versions and FTP works well (Windows server NT4, 2000 and 2008). Now we are migrating to Windows server 2016 but OKUMA DNC module does not work completely well with new server:
(1-OK)-it can copy files from server to local machine disk;
(2-OK)-it can copy files from local machine disk to server overwriting an existing file;
(3-NOT OK)-it can NOT copy files from local machine disk to server if destination file name does not exist yet, it returns an error (see three attached "OKUMA-DNC-Error_x.jpg" files).

Into Server FTP log I noticed an unexpected entry "òABOR - 500" that happens once operation (3) above is tried (see rows 23 and 34 into attached "u_ex200630_AFTER.log.txt").

Did someone had a similar behavior with FTP service on Windows Server 2016?
Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks
Best Regards
Paolo

WinWOES . or any OTHER platform amongst 400-odd "OS'en.. , "File Transfer Protocol" has been flagged as voluntarily and suicidally dangerous from earliest days. It was BORN, after all, in a closed network where all the "players" were known to each other and/or "vetted", and the whole ball of wax was under US DoD control. The guys with guns and similar s**t as took a dim view of being f**ked with, as it were.

Uncontrolled "pubic" internet came much later.

A good deal of effort has gone into shutting that open-hole down in favour of safer tools.

So a server, even one prone to drink out of any random toilet as WinWOES is notorious for, trying to "protect itself" is only a surprise in that it took them so damned long to twig to that.

Rather than even waste yer time getting involved in the long and gnarly history of the twisted guts of that Cluster-F**k, simpy go over to "pull" transfers where the server has no other option but to "trust" its own Admin "master" and JFDI as it is damned-well TOLD to do.

Try "opening" the CNC gadget as a remote or locally "mounted" file repository in an ignorant web browser. Yah might need physical media as messenger. Can't be helped. The/a CNC critter ain't got any more than whatever it gots, "NFS", "SMB", nor a http daemon prolly not on the list!

:)

Then "save as" on the file of choice, let whatever flavour-of-the era toolset as has been "approved" do the job. And done.

All-else fails, fire-up a Unix or Linsucks gadget most any size and cheapness, software free for very modest effort, "dd" the sumbich, THEN sort it out.

Bad enuf WinWOES f**ks-up so much decent hardware and sucks all the time and money out of the budget.

Don't ever let it cripple yer competence in human "wetware" as a byproduct.

One doesn't "use" WinWOES. Compensates for the sad cripple's flawed DNA, parasite load, and other mad, expensive, and badly debilitating diseases, rather.

There ARE NO "problems" in the bit-banging universe.

Only "as-yet unexploited"..... opportunities.

Bitch ye not!

Chronic threat of impending disaster is a sore POWERFUL motivator!

Whole tribes and nations of millionaires and Billionaires have seen fortunes spawned... or at least fair-decent wages ..off the back of the infinite count of fruitless attempts at fixing WinWOES f**k-ups!

Entire dam' universe would still be living in tents and tending goats if WinWOES had been any dam' GOOD!

:(

You could beat your head against a wall trying to understand thermite's post, or you could search for a different ftp server instead of the one that comes with Windows 2016. There's quite a few to choose from.

For instance ...

acFTP - FTP server for Win32 download | SourceForge.net

smallftpd = a simple, small and free ftp server for windows

or even

FTPDMIN: Minimal ad-hoc file transfer Windows FTP server

Don't forget to disable the IIS one that comes with good ol' Mickeysoft ... they won't be happy trying to share a port.

You could beat your head against a wall trying to understand thermite's post,
No such problem, fool.

He's a modern Italian resident - already competent in IS/IT.

"Wiser, more experienced, faster learner, and smarter than YOU ...think yerself to be...", in other words!

Competitive neighbours as Italy has always had? They just doo that s**t, eat rather well, and enjoy life .. rather than whine, quit, blame Trump, and go hungry.

This could get comical YOU start with your usual line of s**t?

:D

Back