What's new
What's new

New Okuma Day

Mickey_D

Stainless
The new Genos L200EM showed up Friday morning (my first lathe from this century!) on a rainy and windy 31 degree day. The truck driver said that he had a white knuckle drive, the riggers thought they were going to freeze, and I was worried about the ice that was building up on everything. The riggers (DFW out of Kyle) did a good job and we had the shop doors only open for only an hour so we did not totally freeze for the rest of the day.

The machine looks really nice, castings are beautiful, and despite being from Taiwan the fit and finish are as good as our Japanese 560. The machine came with a the presetter, conveyor, ethernet, a bunch of VDI holders (no live ones) and a Kitagawa chuck standard and I added the upgraded conversational and a parts catcher which are supposed to be in next week. With the end of the year discounts from Okuma it came out about 10K under the cost of a Haas ST-10 with the same options.

genosl1.jpg

genosl2.jpg

genosl3.jpg

genosl4.jpg

genosl5.jpg

awesome! I wish I would have got what you got instead of the bare bones one I got. Really could use live tooling on a few jobs I have...

Awesome! Congrats! We're getting a new Okuma vmc and lathe in a week or so. Their prices have really come down in the last few years.

Right on man. Congratulations. Looks awesome. Its been 8 years or so since I saw a new machine come into the shop but I remember how excited I was when it came. Started a new job to find out the new shop just bought 2 brand new machines (Mill and Lathe) last year, lol, so I may be waiting again.
Nice looking machine. Let us know how it performs.

Nice new toy. You will LOVE the control!

Doug.

FYI, make SURE that the plastic protectant plastic sheeting is completely removed from the area around the Z axis timing pulley.
The Hartwig tech's missed some on my machine which was pulled into the timing pulley/ belt. It made a god awful noise, and really messed with the things until we sorted out.

Thanks for the tip on the plastic, it seems to be on anything shiny inside the machine. I have a 200M on the mill and really like it, fast, easy to use, no memory limitations.

10K less than a Haas, that's a no brainer! Very nice.

That looks like grease on the end of the main spindle motor pulley? (or is that a servo motor for the C-axis motion?) If so, all of it needs to be cleaned off before starting the spindle.

That looks like grease on the end of the main spindle motor pulley? (or is that a servo motor for the C-axis motion?) If so, all of it needs to be cleaned off before starting the spindle.

They have everything that can rust well oiled and covered with stretch wrap and masking tape. Must have been 50 pounds of silica bags in the metal box and inside the machine, but there is no rust anywhere.

I was looking at a plain jane small lathe but Okuma had a really good special on the live tool (M, not the MY) machines and that will make some of the parts that I do a lot easier.

There should be a paper taped to the door that shows exactly where all of the plastic wrapped parts are. on all the ballscrews, spindle outside and inside, on the motor itself, on the ways, etc... its all numbered.

Also the draw tube and tool holders are in the very back of the machine in the coolant tank, reach in from under the sheetmetal and pull it out :) its hiding!

Nice! I would have recommended something other than a VDI turret, but VDI tool holders are fairly easy to change out, thats one of the biggest hassles on a CNC lathe.

The VDI turret is one of the things I didnt like about the captain lathe. It just didnt work for me as I was always changing tools out of the holders and the combined length of tool and holder ate up alot of the z axis room.

Charles

Thanks for the tip on the plastic, it seems to be on anything shiny inside the machine. I have a 200M on the mill and really like it, fast, easy to use, no memory limitations.

That doesn't come with the 300L control?
The new Okumas we're getting have the 300 on them.
I can't wait!!! Big step up from my E100M wuhoo!

VDI is not my favorite but for the parts that are in now it should be fine. From what I have heard, most of the Genos machines in stock still have the 200 control, supposed to transition to the 300 next year.

Russ, I hope to get to make some cool looking parts one day, most of the stuff that I am doing now is rather mundane, but at least pays the rent. I do a lot of contacts, spring holders, spacers, winders, and stuff like that. I make cool looking mill parts, but the round stuff, not so exciting.

I am in Charlotte tonight and tomorrow for an Okuma shindig, supposed to have a lot of demos and partners in, figure that it will be a good time to see what all is available. Hell, I might even learn something.

Back