What's new
What's new

Hidden Functions for OSP Control

m1ndy

Plastic
Hi guys! Mindy (m1ndy) with Okuma here. One of our applications engineers has a new blog post that I thought you might find helpful. The article shows how advanced functions of the OSP-P300 control provide added versatility and help simplify procedures in your shop. Of course usage can vary depending on your particular machining processes, but he shares just a couple of the “best kept secrets” you can use on your control (including sample programs). Check it out. Hidden CNC Control Functions | Okuma

If you know of other functions that you'd like to share, we'd love to hear those, too. Comment here or on the blog post. We love to hear how our customers are using our machines.

Mindy Mikami
Marketing Coordinator
Okuma America Corporation

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for the link. It's great that Okuma is starting to publish information about it's controls publicly. We have a Genos lathe that is great, but it's still difficult finding good, detailed, real-world information about programming. IMO, the manuals leave a bit to be desired, but we get along. The post did reveal something useful for me as I've always wondered how to display my program variables.

Another great idea would be for Okuma to add a real programming forum to their website that would be moderated by Okuma application guys. Just an opinion.

Thanks twabscs. We'll keep sharing info, so stay tuned. Our engineers are super busy, so I pick their brains when I can. I also encourage them to keep an eye on forums like this, so hopefully they are reaching out to help when they can. If you're doing anything cool with that GENOS, don't hesitate to let us know. You can post photos on our Facebook page, Twitter, LinkedIn, or just email me any time at [email protected]. We LOVE sharing our customers' successes (non-proprietary stuff, of course)! Thanks for using Okuma!

Mindy I'm curious if you can scratch an answer out of one of your engineers that might help simplify, something I figure we are over complicating. We have established tool life on most of our production runs, but our count up/program stop method seems to confuse most of out operators. We currently have the following statements vc1=vc1+10, to count up on a set of ten parts per cycle. We then will set the same type of counter on the tools and use IF/GOTO statements to stop the program when our limits are reached. I can't imagine that there is not a more simple way for us to set restrictions on tool cycles and streamline this process. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Blake

Blake,

Let me see what I can find out. Have you ever asked your Okuma distributor? They are usually pretty good at answering this type of question.

Mindy

Blake,

I have spoken with Paul (the author of the blog post you read), and here is his response:

Blake, If you are using our standard Tool Life Management function, you can have the counts increment by using the command “TLCO=10” at the end of the tool operation (assuming that you are using the ‘Count’ method instead of ‘Time’). That will automatically change your count value by 10 eliminating the need for the variables and logic in your part programs.
Hope this helps.

If you need further assistance or instruction, I highly recommend giving your local Okuma distributor a call. If you're not sure who that is, you can look it up at http://www.okuma.com/distributorswww.okuma.com/distributors.

Best of luck and thanks for using Okuma machine tools.

Mindy

Mindy, thanks for the help. I did contact gossiger and I am looking forward to learning how to use the tool life management function on our machines. This will solve all my worries and increase efficiency all in one.

Hi Mindy,

Thank you for answering questions here.

I am wondering if there is a way to hide the NC program from the Operators in Okuma machines.

To be specific, are the followings achievable?
We developed a program called O1234 and now we want to lock it. The program can only be run but what is inside of it will not be shown on the screen. Also, it is not possible to edit or read the program without a password.

Thanks in advance

Steph

Read/write/get/put

Hi guys! Mindy (m1ndy) with Okuma here. One of our applications engineers has a new blog post that I thought you might find helpful. The article shows how advanced functions of the OSP-P300 control provide added versatility and help simplify procedures in your shop. Of course usage can vary depending on your particular machining processes, but he shares just a couple of the “best kept secrets” you can use on your control (including sample programs). Check it out. Hidden CNC Control Functions | Okuma

If you know of other functions that you'd like to share, we'd love to hear those, too. Comment here or on the blog post. We love to hear how our customers are using our machines.

Mindy Mikami
Marketing Coordinator
Okuma America Corporation

Hi Mindy,
Thank you for your info. It was a very interested in article regarding the Read/Write/Get/Put statements from OKUMA control.
But I don't see he talks about how to use READ and GET statement. Please help me to find out how to use READ and GET statement. Those statement will read the data of the text file which is stored in a computer (the pc connected to the machine) per my understanding. But I don't know how to use the READ and how to let the control knows READ from where in the PC...
My purpose is that I want to read values from the text file in the pc then get those values into the control (set them into common variables)
Thanks

Hi Mindy
It is a very interested share. The Article was helpful with the WRITE/PUT statements. But How to use READ and GET? Please help me to find out how to use them. In OKUMA manual has mentioned about it but not enough info to me :(
I really need help about READ command.
Thanks for sharing

Nodochau,

Have you tried contacting your local Okuma distributor? They should be able to assist you with deeper questions than we can cover here in the forum. If you aren't sure who your distributor is, you can find that at Okuma | Distribution Network | Find My Distributor.

Also, perhaps some of our more veteran Okuma users have had experience with this?

This marketing girl is in over her head already. (^_^)

Thanks, all.

Mindy

Back