What's new
What's new

How to use Zero Shift or Zero Offset

clayton

Aluminum
I’m trying to run a couple parts from a bar sticking out of the chuck since it’s larger than my spindle I cannot bar pull.

I’m not sure which is more appropriate Zero Shift, or Zero Offset. Why would you do one over the other?

Regardless I haven’t been able to figure it out reading multiple forum posts or my programming manual.

Below is a simple 3 part program calling a Sub program. In the example below I’m using VZOFZ which is offset. I’ve also tried VZOFSZ=VZOFSZ-.5 but that didn’t work. I’m all over the place with it. I get the same Alarm saying exceeding Z axis travel.

(3 parts from bar move Z-.5 before each)
G50S4200
N100 CALL O100
VZOFZ = -.5
N200 CALL O100
VZOFZ = -1.
N300 CALL O100
M30

Thank you, Clayton

I just looked in my book, no help there either.
Just a guess, but VZOFZ may preset your work Z zero.

I use VZSHZ and I know for sure that adjusts your work Z zero from wherever you have it set. You might experiment with that. I don't know if's an incremental adjustment each time it's called or not.

Ok I found my issue. I copy and pasted a test program in a sub. It was causing the alarm from the Z axis travel in that specifically. I moved my zero set way off the chuck and that was the issue. It was a little to far. Changed some code and the zero shift works as intended. Interpreting these alarms sometimes can be difficult.

Sample program below works as intended.

G50S4200
VZSHZ=VZSHZ-.5
CALL O100
VZSHZ=VZSHZ-1.
CALL O100
M30

Back