What's new
What's new

Looking at a 1959 Okuma LS

CaryC

Aluminum
Hi everyone!

I'm considering getting an Okuma LS (1959), Serial no 1089. I have not seen it in person yet but the seller has been very helpful. I will probably go see it in a couple of days, it's a 2.5hr drive one way.

It has a few issues and I am not sure how concerned I should be about them.

First - the motor size. I think this is a 5hp, but I can't be sure. If it is, that would actually be perfect for me because I am limited to ~30a of 220 single phase power. From this pic it looks like 15.2A, which would be a 5-6hp. I don't know where else to find information on the HP. I will be converting this with a VFD to get 3-phase.
17356.jpg

Second - He said the dial on the front does not change the speed but the top handle does. From the looks of it the handle is busted off of the dial...maybe that's why it won't change. Is this dial/function a concern if I am going VFD or would it's function be bypassed anyhow?
00z0z_gQEdCZ5vVFw_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Third - wear on the ways. Does this look normal? They do look pitted, but it's hard to tell the amount of wear. Will pitting without high spots affect anything?
00N0N_24OoRtw3uqt_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Overall it looks rough, but I am fine with paint and cosmetics, I am mainly concerned with the high dollar stuff that would make me regret the purchase.

Also, does anyone have a manual for this? I would really appreciate a copy!

Thank you!

Cary

Back