What's new
What's new

Looking at buying an LNC-8

StirlingMachine

Aluminum
Hey folks, thinking about going to look at a '92 LNC-8. Before I do I thought I'd check here and see if folks can point me to any known issues I should check for. Also, what's it like getting parts for these? I just called the local dealer (Gosiger) and they said it is still supported, but that could mean a lot of different things.

Cheers

Hey folks, thinking about going to look at a '92 LNC-8. Before I do I thought I'd check here and see if folks can point me to any known issues I should check for. Also, what's it like getting parts for these? I just called the local dealer (Gosiger) and they said it is still supported, but that could mean a lot of different things.

Cheers

I've run a slightly newer Cadet than that (96 I think). That's got the 7000 control, whereas the one you're looking at would be the 5020, I assume. I think most of the hardware is the same though. They're pretty solid machines. I think the only mechanical problems we've had have been o-rings going bad.

Besides normal stuff that you would check on any lathe, I would make sure the turret indexes properly and doesn't hang up, and make sure the gearbox shifts properly. As far as the electronics, the only problem we've had is an X axis encoder with dodgy wiring that would intermittently throw an alarm. Swapped encoders, and now the alarm is on the Z, but it will only throw an alarm once a month or two, and only at max. Z+ travel.

As far as parts support, on an older machine with a 5000LG control, we've had to replace a couple circuit boards in the last 5 or so years. They all seem to be around $4k, and come from Japan on a week or two lead time. Never seen parts on these that are NLA. Okuma parts support is good. A bigger variable IMO is your local support from Gosiger.

If it's clean, I would go for it. They are great machines, fast and easy to setup and program. OSP controls are way ahead of Fanuc in terms of operator friendliness IMO. IGF is great too, especially for low qty. work.

Back