What's new
What's new

M560V Y axis way cover repair

broke

Hot Rolled
I made a stupid mistake of leaving a vise handle in the machine while I was setting up and sent the machine to G30P5 which is table forward. The handle rode up the way until it got to the front of the machine and put a huge dent in the front most panel. The first to second panel now has a sizeable gap and the second to third has a small gap in one spot. Replacement would cost $3200. yikes.

Anyone here ever fix their own or know a third party vendor?

Photos help but I sorta rebuilt the Y axis covers on my Kitamura a year ago. Just go slow and be conservative with removing the dents with a hammer. It's not hard, just don't cause more problems by trying to go fast. Once it looks good hit it with an orbital sander then clean up the grit before final tweaking and assembling. If the wipers are at all worn now is a good time to replace them.

Hennig has a good pdf on how to pull the segments apart and how to install way covers. I found it very informative when I worked on mine. Go to their site, scroll to the bottom, and download the language of your choice.

once i stripped ( take down lateral covers ) a lathe because a part was a too long :)

also i saw a stripped mill at an exhibition :)

thus, if you stripped it before, you should know how those parts look and search a near colaborator to craft them, if repairing is out of the question :)

by mistake, i damage some covers on a lathe, also window in main door got broked, but we fixed them here :)

also, if you are in hurry, just improvise something, but don't forget to fix it in the near future :) kindly !

I bought a replacment set of covers from okuma for the x axis on my MCV4020 and there price wasn't bad. It was cheaper than a new set from hennig. Turns out they were hennig covers when I got them. IIRC they were around 3-3.5k for the covers. I also sent the old covers back for a rebuild so I have a spare set ready to go. I would have done that first but couldn't have the machine down.

Check your insurance policy to see if you have "crash" coverage. Mine covers accidents like crashes as well as from power spikes and the like.

Check your insurance policy to see if you have "crash" coverage. Mine covers accidents like crashes as well as from power spikes and the like.

this one is from post #1: "Replacement would cost $3200. yikes."

... and it means that machine is under insurance, and he just wanna fix it, but 3200 is > what he will reveice from the insurance

... also it means that the insurance covers only paint and chips from the conveyor :)

We could get it covered under our insurance, but 3200 isn't worth the claim IMO. Its the same as having the insurance involved when you just need to have a bumper repainted.

Thank you for the direction to Hennig. I'm going to pull it off this afternoon and give hammering it out a try.

:) depends what type of "damage" the insurance covers

"many types" may lead to an insurance raise for next year when an event occurs

check potential raise, and if that raise exists than best scenarios is :
... raise for next year < costs for reparing it
... raise won't repeat the 2nd year :)

evaluate service offer, and call insurance guy :)

hy :) i don't understand what you mean with this ...

It's a saying that means they are very expensive for what they are. It's meant to be sarcastic. In other words, Okuma parts are much more expensive than the comparable part from say Haas. Sarcasm is sometimes tough to understand when you are in the same room with someone, it can be very difficult to appreciate when you see it on the internet. :D

Okuma

It's a saying that means they are very expensive for what they are. It's meant to be sarcastic. In other words, Okuma parts are much more expensive than the comparable part from say Haas. Sarcasm is sometimes tough to understand when you are in the same room with someone, it can be very difficult to appreciate when you see it on the internet. :D
I have replaced two waycovers on a 560 okuma,they cost 3500.00 each,I would look at the cost of Maintenance on any Okuma before buying one.

I have replaced two waycovers on a 560 okuma,they cost 3500.00 each,I would look at the cost of Maintenance on any Okuma before buying one.

Why did they need to be replaced? Defective? Not durable? Or damaged like the OP's situation?

As a new M560 owner, I'm just curious what I need to be aware of...

hy :) i could have read that 150 times and still did not get it :) you are right ...

i try crafting rentable parts, so to avoid stress if something happens ... i think there is still room for this

if cncs were more common, and if everybody would use them well, than parts crafting price would go down, while spare parts price may remain the same

however, better to be carefull :)

I have replaced two waycovers on a 560 okuma,they cost 3500.00 each

hy :) i am glad you put .00 after 3500 ...

I would look at the cost of Maintenance on any Okuma before buying one.

maintanence is cheap : oils, filters, etc

if operator is preventive, than no worries

3500.00 event was not maintenance :) or do you consider it so ? kindly !

We had an older horizontal, and the X covers were always screwed up. One day the machine was rapiding home and the covers had other ideas. Sounded like a freight train ran into the building. Covers ended up twisted to hell. We had a welder/fabricator pull them apart. He spent a couple days pounding and welding. When he was done, they were better than new.

So that would be my advice, find a good fab guy.

Update.

Got a new unit in and replaced in an afternoon. I figure both M560s take the same Y cover so when I need to have the wiper replaced on one I will have a spare ready to go on. I will send the damaged one out for repair.

Don't underestimate the amount of silicon you will need to seal all the sheet metal joints when you re assemble. I'm still chasing one small leak...

I have an okuma M560V and crashed the Y cover, is there any info on how the cover is removed from the machine guarding?

Thanks Steve

Back