What's new
What's new

LB 15 1985, 110 SDU alarm 1, need help (please)

van3725

Plastic
I have a 1985 LB15 with the OSP 5000 LG control, the machine is new to me, (3 weeks). It was running when taken out of service, then sat in a garage for 3 years before I bought it. Once I got power to it, it fired up with no problems, and no alarms. It's reading 235 volts leg to leg with no differences in voltage between legs. During the cleanup faze I was using the coolant pump to flush out the system, I only had 15 gal of cleaner in the tank. I had been doing manual tool change rotations on the turret to flush out the coolant system of the turret when I got a 110 SDU alarm 1.
I've read all the other posts that referenced the 110 SDU alarm, here and other sites. The other posters had different problems than I think I have (I have been wrong more than once). I have checked all the fuses, replaced the fan on the SDU unit, reset all the breakers that I can see, pressed the reset button, cleaned and checked all the other fans I can find, changed the position of the 200 volt/220 volt toggle switch(made no difference to the SDU alarm). The spindle was not being used when the alarm happened.
Does anyone have any ideas on what to check next? Thanks in advance for any help.
Van

I for got to mention, I disconnected the coolant pump to check if that was the problem, it made no difference to the alarm status.
Van

Do you have a transformer for the machine? From what I have learned over the years from my Okuma tech, at least the OSP3000, 5000, and 5020 controls all are "designed" for 200V - they can handle 220, but its on the upper edge and supposedly better to drop voltage down.

I have a LC10 with OSP3000 that came with a transformer and an LNC-8 that didnt come with a transformer and was labeled 220v, and I have 246+/- 1v across the legs in the shop. I set up the transformer on the LC10 to bring in 205v for that machine (closest to 200 I could get), and got a 240 -> 208 transformer for the LNC-8 - I forgot where it ended up voltage wise exactly, but I know it wasnt more than 210v.

The tech said that 205-210 was much better than 220, and if the transformers would have let me get to 200 on either, I would have done that... Maybe some day if I upgrade the service to the shop Ill just set up with 208v instead and then drop at least the one transformer.

I have no idea how the SDU would handle high voltage, but seems like a potential cause to look into?

Wade

Sir, it does have a transformer, I'll have to check the settings. I'm getting a low voltage led lit on the drive board, and it blew the small 5 amp fuse that I replaced previously. I just finished reading everything I could find in another forum on the okumas, (124 pages of posts) and have a couple things to check. I was really hoping it would be something simple.

So I have this exact machine now with this exact alarm.

I was a dumb ass and put 480 to it with the transformer set to 220. We switched the taps and the control comes up fine but I have that SDU alarm. All the fuses I could find tested ok for continuity.

The pictures in this thread are dead. Any chance someone could post a shot of where I should be looking for that magic hidden fuse to replace?

behind the SDU board are several large fuses, and 2 small 5 amp glass buss type fuses in the upper left hand corner. Hope this helps, also check that all the fans are working, bad fans will cause the SDU alarm also.
Van

behind the SDU board are several large fuses, and 2 small 5 amp glass buss type fuses in the upper left hand corner. Hope this helps, also check that all the fans are working, bad fans will cause the SDU alarm also.
Van

I found the 5A fuses. The second I switch on main power both those 5A's blow up. I'm going to call someone in I think.

Hey Kevin, do you have a megohmmeter? You need to meg the spindle motor and power cables. The one I use is pretty simple but it works. Link below. Daryl

Supco M500

Hey Kevin, do you have a megohmmeter? You need to meg the spindle motor and power cables. The one I use is pretty simple but it works. Link below. Daryl

Supco M500

Hey how you been! Took me a second to figure out how someone posting here knew my name. I didn't expect to hear anything from you.

I don't have a megger. I probably should get one especially since they're not that expensive.

I called an industrial electrician I sometimes use for replacing worn out parts on drives and what not. He'll be around later today and didn't think it was going to be hard to figure out. He's a pretty reasonable cost so we'll see what he comes up with.

I barely have four figures into this machine (including moving it in) so if it's cooked I'm not out a whole lot.

Side note - that spindle we did is still smooth as butter
Second side note - did you ever retire?

I didn't retire really, I just quit my job. I am working for myself and training my grandson in the process. He graduated high school this past June and he has been working with me since then. I have some good customers that keep me busy. Glad to hear that spindle is still running smooth. I have done several more since I "retired", lol.

Let me know if you ever need anything.

Still have my email? Send me some updated contact info.

Glad to hear you're able to pass on what you know!

Those 2 fuses are for the SDU fan, the spindle motor fan , the cooling fan in the door of the cabinet behind the SDU, and the cooling fan on top of the cabinet. Check all of those. I just picked up my spindle motor fan from getting rewound, that was the problem part on my machine.
Van

I replaced those fuses and blew them up immediately.

Some more digging found two bad semi conductor fuses bad as well as two MOV's were destroyed. We removed the MOV's and replaced the two 5A fuses and the two bad SC fuses and the machine comes up.

No more SDU alarm, now Z axis drive alarm. I have also found a cooling fan at the top of the spindle drive that's not working and feels pretty rough when I turn it by hand. It also smokes so that's on the agenda for replacement.

I have not had much luck finding replacement MOV's. Any idea where I could go? I googled the part number and nothing comes up. I have a maybe from Digikey but am waiting to hear if it will be a comparable replacement.

These electronic parts are way over my pay grade.

Back