What's new
What's new

Need help running spindle without tool on an okuma Geno's m560v p300.

Bigdmunz

Plastic
Please help!!! I need to either turn the interlock off or figure out how to run the spindle without a tool in it so I can buff the inside of the spindle with fine grain sandpaper and scotchbrite to try and reduce run-out. Run-out is at about .001 and I need to try and get it to .0002 if possible. Operator was feeding and made a bad offset. Tool holder went about half an inch into an aluminum part before alarming out. I don't feel any knicks in there but I have to try. Any help with reducing run-out would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have the feeling what you propose to do won't work. It's better to try to figure out where the runnout is coming from first (burr, bent spindle, etc), then figure out best fix.

Maybe one of our in-machine spindle grind gurus can chime in.

Can you turn it by hand with a dial test indicator running inside to make sure that is where your problem is before doing further damage to your spindle?

Maybe a dumb question but you did check the tool holder first to see if it’s messed up. What you’ve proposed is not a good idea. Blue up a holder and put it in the spindle, take it out weres it making contact? Chances are if you just go at it with sandpaper and scotch brite you’ll make it worse and have a scuffed up spindle. Please don’t make it worse.

Maybe a dumb question but you did check the tool holder first to see if it’s messed up. What you’ve proposed is not a good idea. Blue up a holder and put it in the spindle, take it out weres it making contact? Chances are if you just go at it with sandpaper and scotch brite you’ll make it worse and have a scuffed up spindle. Please don’t make it worse.

What he said.

Don't sand a spindle by hand, you'll cause more problems than you'll solve.

Check your insurance, this may be covered. The 560 spindles are like a cross between a Ferrari and an M-1 tank - very tough and high performance but you can break them and they are expensive to replace. If it is not covered, check around for an onsite spindle grinding service, no way I would try to do this one myself.

To answer your original title question, I believe M329 is what you are looking for. BUT: please heed the warning and the good advice posted in all of the above posts.

If your taper is damaged call Locher Inc out of Lancaster Ohio. They can grind the taper and they do good work. Their number is 740-654-8888

hi Bigdmunz, the hidraulic unit will try to pull the holder up, and result in an error because it won't clamp

there is a protection, so to avoid burning the unit

kindly :)

hi Bigdmunz, the hidraulic unit will try to pull the holder up, and result in an error because it won't clamp

there is a protection, so to avoid burning the unit

kindly :)

the kitten strikes again.

follow the advice of everyone here and dont do that, but if you are to hard headed to do that then you can just remove the cover unhook the prox switches/limit switches and tape then shut with steel shim stock..but once again i recommend you DO NOT do that

Back